Adding field to table renders table unusable
I'm in the process of migrating from Backendless 3 to 4. I successfully imported my BE3 data to my new BE4 app. I have a new field in my order table called geoPointID that gets added via API call. After creating a new order including that field Backendless has behaved completely erratically.
The order was created in backendless but when i try to retrieve it I get the following error:
I tried to view the order in backendless but get an error when I go to the order table, it won't show any data even though there are 3K records there. If I click in the search field it shows the following error(see screenshot1):
I went to the schema editor and saw that field geoPointID did not appear in this view. I tried to add the new field manually in Backendless and got an error that the column already exists (see screenshot 2).
I should note that all of this happened after doing a second migration into this BE4 app. I reset the app and deleted all the tables then reimported all my BE3 data.
App ID: B561B284-3A84-8616-FF0A-7AE8B2135D00
I created a new Backendless application and imported my BE3 data. I had the same problem with the new application. App: 77B37853-91A1-B7A9-FFBB-C2044C2E7B00