Support Topics Documentation Slack YouTube Blog

Are webhooks available yet?

On this page

https://backendless.com/parse-to-backendless-migration-guide/#disqus_thread

It says that Backendless expects webhooks to be available within 3-4 weeks. Since the last update to the page was in March, I was wondering if webhooks are available or if they’ll be released in the near future.

Hello Phil

Unfortunately webhooks are not available yet, and we can’t give you the exact webhook release date. We will update the documentation page and inform you when it’s ready as soon as possible.

Regards Anton

Hi,
I wonder if Backendless supports webhooks without using Zapier.

Specifically, I want to keep my Backendless DB updated based on what is happening in an external API. Calling on the external API frequently causes execution timeouts.

The external API allows a subscription URL to be configured that they will POST event data to as it is added to their Event Log.

Is there a way to receive such POST in my Backendless app?

Hello @Andreas_Marinopoulos

You need to create an API service and configure it depending on the callback URL specification. But we must warn you that if the complexity of the URL format is too high, then it may not be possible to implement it in Codeless. Therefore, I advise you to use Java or Java Script if you cannot accomplish it with Codeless.

Regards,
Inna

Thanks @Inna_Shkolnaya, the complexity of the URL service is not high. Just a clarification:

I simply need a url, like https://api.backendless.com/XXX/services/Service/Service coming from Backendless, and I will add it to my external database. This url will then receive POST commands from my external API containing data objects.

Do I simply create a Backendless Codeless API method using the GET operation, plug that url in place of a webhook in my external API, then the Backendless method will listen for events?

Hi, @Andreas_Marinopoulos

You are right. As one more option you can use CustomEvents and plug its URL in place of a webhook.

Regards,
Marina

1 Like

App ID 4A47197B-AE30-FA84-FF56-0071F4010900

Hi @Marina.Rudenko, I am trying to use the ways you suggested to listen to webhooks in codeless.

I have created a custom event ( leadWebhook*default) and created a webhook in my external CRM with this url format:

https://api.backendless.com/APP-ID/REST-API-KEY/servercode/events/leadWebhook

Now there are events added to the Event Log in my external CRM, but there is no activity in Backendless, what am I missing?

I tried also creating an API service ( receiveWebhookData*) and again created the webhook in my external CRM using the url of the API service.

I am looking through the documentation but I can’t find something to take me to the next step, can you give me a hint?

My desired outcome is to see the event log that my external CRM is posting to the URL in Backendless.

I recommend configuring postman or something like that so you can successfully invoke your custom event and once it works, integrate the call into the CRM.

Same approach goes for invoking the service.

Regards,
Mark

@mark-piller this works in postman. The CRM is delivering a payload of data to any URL I give it. The problem is you have no documentation on how to do this in Codeless (or at least I can’t find it).

I have added an argument but I it does not receive anything.

How to define the payload I should receive as a result?

Hi, @Andreas_Marinopoulos
In your Codeless method defined that the method will return the incoming “data” argument.
Can you check if you correctly send the “data” argument to the API Service method in postman or any other tool you choose?

Regards, Denys

if i understand you correctly
you want your external API to make a request to backendless with some data to update the database in backendless.

if this is correct then you just need a normal service method in codeless
and in that method save the data to the backendless table.

just make sure of the security roles are set correctly to make changes to the database. since you will be sending data as unauthorized user i guess

1 Like

Hi @Andreas_Marinopoulos, if it works in postman, but it doesn’t work from the CRM, then the problem must be in the way the call is configured in the CRM. Whenever you configure a call in an external system, there are 4 configuration elements that are important:

1. HTTP operation (GET, POST, PUT, DELETE)
  2. Endpoint URL
  3. HTTP Headers
  4. Request body

If this data matches in CRM to what you have in Postman, the call should be going through.

As for the question below, the payload is defined by what you put into the return connector.

Regards,
Mark