Atomic counter

Hi guys, I’m messing around with my app, on purpouse I’ve setted wrong application id and/or wrong api key, no crash, except when I call atomic counter (no blocking api)

java.lang.NullPointerException: Attempt to invoke virtual method ‘java.lang.Class java.lang.Object.getClass()’ on a null object reference
at com.backendless.atomic.AtomicCallback.handleResponse(AtomicCallback.java:45)
at com.backendless.async.message.AsyncMessage$ResponseHandler.handle(AsyncMessage.java:64)
at com.backendless.async.message.AsyncMessage.handleCallback(AsyncMessage.java:41)
at com.backendless.core.AndroidCarrier$1.handleMessage(AndroidCarrier.java:37)
at android.os.Handler.dispatchMessage(Handler.java:98)
at android.os.Looper.loop(Looper.java:150)
at android.app.ActivityThread.main(ActivityThread.java:5621)
at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Native Method)
at com.android.internal.os.ZygoteInit$MethodAndArgsCaller.run(ZygoteInit.java:794)
at com.android.internal.os.ZygoteInit.main(ZygoteInit.java:684)

same with blocking api, but it can be surrounded with try catch block.

I know it’s a nonsense with wrong id, but, give it a look

Hello @fabio_na

I try reproduce your step, i send https://api.backendless.com/<wrong-application-id>/<REST-api-key>/counters/<counterName>/get/increment (https://backendless.com/docs/rest/ut_increment_by_1__return_previou.html) and i get error: Application with ID XXX does not exist.
Please write what kind of requests you fill out and what you get in return.

My bad, I’ve setted android tag for this request but I’ve not specified the api used.

https://backendless.com/docs/android/ut_increment_by_1__return_current_android.html

Backendless.Counters.incrementAndGet(counterName, new AsyncCallback<Integer>() {
        @Override
        public void handleResponse(Integer response) {
            Log.e(TAG, "handleResponse: " + counterName + ": " + response);
        }

@Override
        public void handleFault(BackendlessFault fault) {
            Log.e(TAG, "handleFault: " + fault);
        }
    });

this is the faulty code.
In return I have

java.lang.NullPointerException: Attempt to invoke virtual method ‘java.lang.Class java.lang.Object.getClass()’ on a null object reference

at com.backendless.atomic.AtomicCallback.handleResponse(AtomicCallback.java:45)
at com.backendless.async.message.AsyncMessage$ResponseHandler.handle(AsyncMessage.java:64)
at com.backendless.async.message.AsyncMessage.handleCallback(AsyncMessage.java:41)
at com.backendless.core.AndroidCarrier$1.handleMessage(AndroidCarrier.java:37)
at android.os.Handler.dispatchMessage(Handler.java:98)
at android.os.Looper.loop(Looper.java:150)
at android.app.ActivityThread.main(ActivityThread.java:5621)
at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Native Method)
at com.android.internal.os.ZygoteInit$MethodAndArgsCaller.run(ZygoteInit.java:794)
at com.android.internal.os.ZygoteInit.main(ZygoteInit.java:684)

Yes, I managed to reproduce.
I created an internal ticket (BKNDLSS-18367). Progress fixes will be written in this topic.

@fabio_na, I just wanted to make sure that with the correct application ID the functionality is working as expected. Please confirm.

Thanks,
Mark

yeah, it works great!
I’m just testing, cause once in production I want to cover every possible error to avoid crash. I could have easily catched the “synchronous” version of this api with a try catch block.
I’m still using the free plan, the least I can do is report unexpected behaviors

The NullPointerException problem is fixed in the version 5.7.1.
Also there is an internal ticket BKNDLSS-20825 for the “Wrong App ID” issue.

Best Regards,
Maksym