Custom notification not showing

Im trying to create my custom notification, but having some problems, and it seems to be related with the usage of BackendlessPushService class (Android).

Im extending BackendlessPushService and overriding onMessage():
@Override
public boolean onMessage(Context context, Intent intent) {
String message = intent.getStringExtra(“message”);
String title = intent.getStringExtra(“android-content-title”);
Timber.e("Message: " + message);
Timber.e("Title: " + title);

NotificationCompat.Builder mBuilder =
        new NotificationCompat.Builder(this)
                .setSmallIcon(android.R.drawable.ic_menu_report_image)
                .setContentTitle(title)
                .setContentText(message)
                .setAutoCancel(true);

NotificationManager mNotificationManager =
        (NotificationManager) getSystemService(Context.NOTIFICATION_SERVICE);

mNotificationManager.notify(234567, mBuilder.build());

return false;

}
Here I receive the values Title and Message from server (so the class is also properly registered in Manifest) and I return false, as the documentation says: "Returning false, cancels the execution of the default implementation"For testing purpose i created a button that creates a notification, which uses the same code as onMessage() and the notification is properly created, but for some reason the notification is not created when coming from server. Am I missing anything?

Hello, Bugdroid,

what do you mean when you say “notification is not created” ?

if you return false then you are responsible what to do with message. If you’d like to show it you have to create android notification, here you can find an example https://developer.android.com/training/notify-user/build-notification.html

By “notification is not created” I mean that the notification is not being displayed.

Cant I create a notification inside onMessage() ? The same code creates a notification when out of this class (example onButtonClick).