Support Topics Documentation Slack YouTube Blog

Geolocation to Spatial data migration

Hello,

I am currently planning the migration from Geolocation to Spatial data. In this blog post you say that support for Geolocation will be discontinued on October 5th, 2020. I am wondering how the migration should be done. Currently I have a live app that is using Geolocation. I will issue updates that use Spatial data but all users won’t update immediately. So, some of them will be using the old version with Geolocation and some of them the new version with Spatial data which will result in fragmented data. Do you have a solution for this?
Also, what will happen to users that haven’t updated their app after October 5th?
In general my feedback is that 9 months is a rather short deadline for introducing a breaking API change! At least 20% of my users don’t update regularly and use old versions of the app for a long time. As much as I would like them to always use the latest version, I have no control over this!

Best,
Milen

Hi Milen,

Please see below:

A possible solution is to add event handlers into the business logic’s before/after API handlers where you could handle synchronization between the data sets.

After October 5th (or later, whenever the cutoff is made) an API call retrieving spatial data will return either an error or an empty data set.

There is always a percentage of users who do not update. Based on that no matter what deadline we establish, there will be someone who hasn’t updated. It is really a situation where it is virtually impossible to keep everyone happy. I understand that 9 months doesn’t seem like enough time for your users to upgrade. However, it is a very long period for us to maintain two separate code bases which have direct impact on service performance, maintainability, and even stability.

Regards,
Mark

Hi,

Thanks for the idea for event handlers. That will probably solve the issue!

Best,
Milen