Internal nullpointer at login/register

Hi, I am trying to login/register with BE Android SDK, but have some problems.
When I am trying to call login or register methods async, I am getting at SDK UserService in callback methodhandleResponse(User response) response as null. And then app crashes with

java.lang.NullPointerException: Attempt to invoke virtual method 'void com.backendless.BackendlessUser.setPassword(java.lang.String)' on a null object reference
 at com.backendless.UserService$1.handleResponse(UserService.java:108)
 at com.backendless.UserService$1.handleResponse(UserService.java:104)
 at com.backendless.async.message.AsyncMessage$ResponseHandler.handle(AsyncMessage.java:64)
 at com.backendless.async.message.AsyncMessage.handleCallback(AsyncMessage.java:41)
 at com.backendless.core.AndroidCarrier$1.handleMessage(AndroidCarrier.java:37)
 at android.os.Handler.dispatchMessage(Handler.java:107)
 at android.os.Looper.loop(Looper.java:207)
 at android.app.ActivityThread.main(ActivityThread.java:5977)
 at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Native Method)
 at com.android.internal.os.ZygoteInit$MethodAndArgsCaller.run(ZygoteInit.java:940)
 at com.android.internal.os.ZygoteInit.main(ZygoteInit.java:801)

User creation:

BackendlessUser backendlessUser = new BackendlessUser();
backendlessUser.setEmail(email);
backendlessUser.setPassword(password);
backendlessUser.setProperty("name", name);

Permission for INTERNET exists.
SDK initialization:

Backendless.initApp(this, APPLICATION_ID, API_KEY);
Backendless.setUrl(SERVER_URL);

Keys doublechecked, registration enabled at console, have no idea what is the problem.Will appreciate any help.
Best,Nick.

Hi Nick,

The code you shared for user creation does not seem to be able to cause the exception (by looking at the stack trace). Have you tried running the program in a debugger to see where exactly the exception occurs?

Regards,
Mark

Hi Mark, yes, crash happens in method handleResponse in SDK class UserService, because response comes there as a null. So it does not go to fault method, it goes with success, but with null response. I also should say that I am wrapping this call in rxJava, but don’t think that problem is in it.

Hi Mark, yes, crash happens in method handleResponse in SDK class UserService, because response comes there as a null. So it does not go to fault method, it goes with success, but with null response. I also should say that I am wrapping this call in rxJava, but don’t think that problem is in it.

Hi Nick,

Is there a possibility of two concurrent remote calls to the server going on when it happens?

Regards,
Mark

Hey, I don’t think so, I am just calling smth like this:

return Single.create(e -> Backendless.UserService.register(backendlessUser, new BackendlessCallback<BackendlessUser>() {
      @Override
      public void handleResponse(BackendlessUser user) {
        e.onSuccess(true);
      }

@Override
      public void handleFault(BackendlessFault backendlessFault) {
        e.onSuccess(false);
      }
    }));

Thanks, we will give it a try and hopefully be able to reproduce.

What version of rxJava do you use? Also, are you on the latest build of the Backendless SDK?

I am using 4.0.2 for Backendless SDK and RxJava 2.0.8. Thanks!

Hello,

here it is my example

Backendless.initApp(this, "app-id, "api-key"); 

final BackendlessUser backendlessUser = new BackendlessUser(); 
backendlessUser.setEmail( "s@k0" ); 
backendlessUser.setPassword("dddd"); 

Single.create(new SingleOnSubscribe<Object>() { 
 @Override 
 public void subscribe(final SingleEmitter<Object> e) throws Exception { 
 Backendless.UserService.register(backendlessUser, new BackendlessCallback<BackendlessUser>() { 

@Override 
 public void handleResponse(BackendlessUser user) { 
 e.onSuccess(true); 
 Log.i("user", user.getObjectId()); 
 } 

@Override 
 public void handleFault(BackendlessFault backendlessFault) { 
 e.onSuccess(false); 
 Log.e("user_fault", backendlessFault.getMessage()); 
 } 
 }); 
 } 
}).subscribe();

and result

08-10 18:49:26.575 4571-4571/com.example.ksv.myapplication I/user: 6DC6C984-DB40-6FA9-FFE1-2DDB52579200

so it works

I tried without any RxJava, just with async callback, and still nullpointer in internal UserService class, because onResponse null. I am pretty sure problem is that I init smth wrong or smth like that, but I have no idea what.

Finally, problem was in DASH("-") in keys, I don’t know how, but they wasn’t there after I copied keys. I am so sorry for disturbing you. Have a great day!

1 Like