Backendless.Messaging.addPushNotificationListener is undefined (not a function)

I’m also having this issue and when I look at the backendless.d.ts . I don’'t see addPushNotificationListener or removePushNotificationListener

hi @Decarlo_Williams
these methods

• Backendless.Messaging.addPushNotificationListener
  • Backendless.Messaging.removePushNotificationListener

comes from backendless-react-native module, while backendless.d.ts it’s just a types definitions for JS-SDK

Do you use TypeScript in your RN project? if so, please create a separated support topic because it’s another issue

Regards, Vlad

I can see the console.log results but for some reason it just has an error in my editor.

Hi Guys, in an attempt to register an android device I got a message:

registerDevice: Error: Backendless encountered an error while handling the request. An internal trouble ticket with ID 23C452CD-32B2-BA28-FFB4-D7091CD7C800 has been created and we will be investigating the issue.

Could anyone tell me what’s that about and what should I do next, please? Regards

Hi Marcio
What kind of apiKey do you use for Backendless.initApp(APP_ID, API_KEY) ?
I mean JS, Android, iOS, …

Hi @vladimir-upirov , I’m using a JS API key through all the App, since I was working only with API requests I had no problem. I switch once to use iOS or Android keys using the platform selector but gave me permissions issues and in order to work I end up having to allow almost all users in Roles Permissions. Didn’t feel right to me.

Do I have to use the iOS and Android Keys? Regards

Could you please also provide the exact code sample that you use to register your device?

Hi Marcio,
yes looks like that’s the problem,
let me explain how it correctly works: when you register a new device, under hood, backendless-react-native loads list of PushTemplates for platform which is corresponding to API_KEY, it means when use ANDROID_API_KEY you get push templates for Android,
when IOS_API_KEY - ios templates,
JS - JS templates, and here is the issue, because there are no push templates for JS devices and as result you’ve got an InternalServerError (ticket for fix: BKNDLSS-18416)

so, we’re going to change this logic, after fix the problem will disappear, and you will able to use any API_KEY (ticket number for reference: BKNDLSS-18426)

for now as workaround you can use:

const APP_ID = 'YOUR_APP_ID';

const APP_KEY = Platform.select({
  ios    : 'YOUR_IOS_API_KEY',
  android: 'YOUR_ANDROID_API_KEY'
});

Backendless.initApp(APP_ID, APP_KEY);

Regards, Vlad

1 Like