Reusing Code and UI Components...not reinventing the wheel every time!

First, let me congratulate you on a terrific product. I am doing a demo and I am really amazed at how awesome it is! I have been searching long and and hard for a system that has a robust back end database where I can easily do basic CRUD database options without such a hassle. I was actually searching for new “smart forms” to connect to my salesforce instance to replace some of their options on the app exchange. I didn’t even think of “CRUD” as any type of search term as I was thinking things like “SQL” since I have a bit of experience there. Your service didn’t come up until I changed my search a bit and your service is MUCH better than what is offered in the salesforce appexchange AND you can talk to salesforce with API. Maybe you should think about other markets to target more precisely!

The one main preoccupation/suggestion/question I have is to see if you have a video or advice on reusing components. For example, I thought I needed to reinvent a piece of “codeless” code every time I created it in a certain event or page. I didn’t know about all the quirks with the copy/paste function…nor did I know you had to put it into a “function” to copy and paste it. This isn’t a big deal but it could leave the wrong impression that the software isn’t as functional as it really is. See this topic:

Furthermore, I would really like to be able to get started in designing a reusable template for my UI. I would really like to get a model page that basically has the same layout, fonts, banners, logic, etc., to use as a boiler plate. Is there a best practice or video for this? I have changed the theme and I like that as a good first step but I may just want to modify only one or two components styling/color…for example a button. Is it best to use a reusable container for this? It seems like reusable containers have some important limitations but I am not sure…

Is it possible to copy code and your setup from one “app” to another? Is is possible to give you setup to a completely different user on their own instance of Backendless? I could see where this functionality would be a “must have” for anyone who may want to be a consultant using your service. I see there is some export ability and stuff but I am having trouble connecting those dots a bit on how someone who sets up a Backendless system could potentially be able to share/version the setup with their own clients.

Finally, is there a way or do you have a plan to be able to take a piece of external code text and compile it into your system show it shows up and can be modified graphically with your codeless code? I could see it being a real benefit to take a piece of Apex or Java code that someone is using in an external system and tweak it as necessary so it can reversed engineered into a function that is usable in your interface graphically. I am sure there are a lot of “old school” coders who may find this helpful.

Perhaps there is a video which may answer some or all of these questions. I am sorry for the long-winded post but I thought you may find it helpful. If you can point me in the right direction on some of these topics it would certainly be appreciated and, of course, I will now look carefully in the forum. My only suggestion is this topic may be a good one for a video if it hasn’t been done already! I will apologize in advance if I haven’t scoured everything yet.

Oh, another thing I forgot to mention.

I would like to define the schema for my data tables and work with dummy data to start. The data import wizard seems to create everything all at once. It doesn’t seem to ask for mapping or anything. What is the best way for me to define the schema and import the data later where I want? I am afraid if I use the wizard it will duplicate records or create more columns in error than I need.

I will offer you to write some extensions and use classes on needed components

Or you could create a Reusable Component

That is pretty close to common components, but you could define some styles/properties and share them between all copies. When you change something in the “root” it apply changes to all copies too.

Is it possible to copy code and your setup from one “app” to another?

Not sure, which code you are talk. But if your app is on a paid plan - you could create a full copy of your app.

Is is possible to give you setup to a completely different user on their own instance of Backendless?

Yes. You could clone apps and set permission for them.

Finally, is there a way or do you have a plan to be able to take a piece of external code text and compile it into your system show it shows up and can be modified graphically with your codeless code?

Do you want to “translate” for example Java to Codeless? If yes - unfortunately, it’s not possible.

I am afraid if I use the wizard it will duplicate records or create more columns in error than I need.

You could create an objectId column with unique values and use the override option

What is the best way for me to define the schema and import the data later where I want?"

You could use Dynamic Schema Definition

Also, we have a lot of videos and some of them could answer on your questions - YouTube channes

Please, let me know if something is still unclear.

Regards, Dima

1 Like

Hey, thanks. What I mean here is if I created a button with an on click event and I had some codeless code in there. If I put it into a function as shown in the link above, could I move it to another app completely? Could I port just this code from one app to another? I am not simply talking about cloning the whole app.

1 Like

Hello @Ryan_Belisle

Yes, you can share custom components btw apps and containers. Just copy the component file in “Files section” and move to the app you want. Also you can publish your custom components to the Backendless market place.

Regards

1 Like

Hi @viktor.liablin
Can you elaborate a bit what the consequences for me as a component author are when doing this “publish” step?
On the Marketplace, I only see UI component from the Backendless team.

Regards,

1 Like

Hello @Klaas_Klever!

If you’re interested in publishing components, I recommend you read this post in our blog.
There you will find information on how to publish a component on the example of a custom function.

Regards,
Alexander

Thanks, that is helpful to answer @Klaas_Klever 's question. Do you have an example/video/post that shows the steps of sharing a piece of codeless logic just with your own apps? If I have one app and just want to share a trivial piece of logic, how could I give just that little piece to my other app or move it from a development to production version?

Thanks, that is helpful to answer @Klaas_Klever 's question. Do you have an example/video/post that shows the steps of sharing a piece of codeless logic just with your own apps? If I have one app and just want to share a trivial piece of logic, how could I give just that little piece to my other app or move it from a development to production version?

If you mean the logic in the UI Builder, you can sync it by zipping the required UI Builder container in the source app and unzipping it in the target app.

If we’re talking about Codeless business logic, you can use Sync Changes and synchronize the changes in the applications you want.

Regards,
Alexander

Happy New Year Viktor :partying_face:

We would like to use some reusable components and also our theme/extensions in the system container. Can you confirm that this is just a matter of replacing the “reusable components” folder in the system container with a copy from our “production” container? And do the same for the “styles” folder?

Then, to maintain consistency across containers, I guess we have to keep replacing files? What I mean is: if we edit/change a reusable component in our “production” container, we then have to go into the system container and make the same edits, or?

Thanks for all you do :grinning:

Hi @Alex_Klein

Yes, that’s right, that will have to be done

Regards,
Viktor Mudrevsky

OK thanks :slight_smile: