Backendless with Unity3D Addressables

Hey,

For our project we are working on placing content on a backend (in this case, ideally also on Backendless). Initially we did this manually and already made some progress on downloading/uploading needed content from the File Service.

However, recently we started using Addressables in Unity which also allows content to be stored on a backend/CDN for remote download.

I am still figuring things out in detail on how to work with remote content, but perhaps people here already tried/know if this is going to work with Backendless?

I did a quick test with placing built content on the file service of Backendless and trying to retrieve it again, but it doesn’t seem to work just yet. I think by default Unity does a GET web request to get the specific content, but I am not sure if any access outside of the Backendless API calls are permitted.

So I guess my question would be: Did anyone try working with addressables and Backendless? Is it possible?

I think I am able to write custom code to handle downloads, but I would need to dive a bit deeper into addressables to know for sure.

Thanks in advance!

Hello, @Joey_Fladderak.

I think there shouldn’t be any problems. But I don’t see implemented methods for using API(Download) via SDK. So they will most likely have to be written manually(using REST routes), but I don’t think that this can create any difficulties. Or, as an option, you can wait until it is implemented on the SDK side. But right now I can’t give a clear timeline for when it will be ready.

Best Regards, Nikita.

Thanks for the info @Nikita_Fedorishchev

Am I understanding correctly that the Backendless Unity SDK is getting support for Addressables? Or at least looking into it?

Hello, @Joey_Fladderak.

I haven’t worked with Addressable so I can’t give you a clear answer. Need to test.

Best Regards, Nikita.