Can I register devices through REST API for receiving "PUSH Notifications" ?

Hi,
Currently i am working an APP for ANDROID and IOS. I am using Backendless REST API as my middleware/backend.
Now i want to use “PUSH Notification” service, i have gone through documentation and some examples. So to achieve this i need to have respective SDK’s to register the device to which i need to send notification.
This makes my APP tight couple with Backendless, instead can i register the devices through REST API ? so that i no need to include respective SDK’s to register.
Thanks and Regards,
Santhosh P

Hmm, i am sorry i was confused with the documentation structure provided. I got the API to register the device through REST. But another question is, will my APP be capable of receiving when it is not “Active” ?

To receive a notification you must have native code which registers itself with the operating system of the device you registered.

So you mean, i just need to use native code and no need of any backend sdk to receive notification when app is not active if i register using REST Api

No, that’s not what I meant. You need to use Backendless native API to be able to receive notifications.

Hey Mark,

Thanks for the response, so as i told we are using REST based API’s till now and as you specified, to have “Push Notifications” when app is not Active we need to use respective platform SDK’s.

So i wonder, should we use mBaaS based API’s provided by Backendless instead of REST API’s ?
If so can you let me know what is the difference between both? may be in terms of performance etc.

You need to use our native (Android and iOS) SDKs if you want to receive push notifications. The difference is simple: receiving push notifications works with native SDKs and with REST that functionality is simply not available.

So, correct me if i am wrong. So apart from the “Push Notifications” there is no other difference between REST vs Backendless Native SDK’s. I mean if replace my REST API’s calls with Native API calls i will not see any difference.

You will write less code with the native SDK, but you will not see any difference because both REST and native APIs work with the same backend and do the same thing.