Clear page data / app data on logout

I’m having trouble when a user logs out, and another user logs in, in the same browser, the second user sees the previous user’s information. I think it’s because it is in page/app data. What is the correct way to destroy page/app data on logout?

Thanks,
Tim

Hi Tim,

You could either delete specific properties in page/app data using the Delete Object Property block or initialize them (page/app data) to a brand new object without any properties.

Regards,
Mark

Hi Mark,

I’m already doing the first approach, but clearly, I am missing something, so I wanted to clean everything out fully.

Would you mind explaining how I would initialize them (page/app data) as a new object? That’s the part I couldn’t figure out that prompted this post.

Tim

Looks like there is no block to reset an object, however, the following function will do it for you:
UI Builder - ConsoleDemo - Backendless 2022-08-17 12-40-41

I was just setting the value to “”, which I thought was enough. Thank you for spelling it out for me, seeing your function makes it so obvious :man_facepalming:

Thanks, @mark-piller!

1 Like

Hey @mark-piller,

I’m having an issue with the logic you proposed. When my logout code (shown above) runs, I get all these errors -

I think it’s because the rest of the page is still “running” and now is throwing errors when the values they depended on were deleted. That is a total guess, this one has me stuck. If that’s correct, what is the solution?

Thanks,
Tim

In what event handler do you perform this operation?

On click from the navigation component -

Looks like a better place to do it would be in the authLogin page. Set a flag here to indicate that the properties should be deleted and when you arrive to authLogin perform the clean-up there.

I can do that. One more question, authLogin can have query string variables, which if I remember correctly, get added directly to Page Data. How would you suggest removing everything from Page Data when new variables I need are getting set?

Now that I’m writing this out, do I need to delete everything from page data? That should be all lost when going to another page, right?

Tim

When you navigate to a new page, PageData will contain only the data that was past to it from the previous page.

When you say “past to it”, do you mean in here -

Yes. The data connector expects an object. The object is then merged with the PageData object on the visited page.

Thanks, @mark-piller