Collab with Agora

Hi Mark and Team,

Just wondering do you guys plan to collab with Agora to provide RTC anytime in the future?

Global audio trend seems to be rising exponentially. Backendless has Twilio API, but Twilio is just too too too expensive for any burgeoning startup.

I have calculated, if I’m not wrong, a 1000min conversation on Twilio will cost me ~$21.50, while on Agora (which is what Clubhouse runs on), it costs ~$2.

If startups are using Backendless and piecing things together themselves in low-code no-code, it’s highly likely that the demographic is bootstrapping to funding/testing something with zero revenue, hence I would infer for them (and me) that sourcing for the lowest cost to start and maintain the project is important. It’ll benefit everyone if a cheaper API alternative than Twilio is provided.

I’m not sure if others might be interested in RTC. But the core of what we are building is based on conversations so RTC is a must, and I suspect that in the future, RTC-based apps will become more common. Backendless having API for an affordable RTC provider will greatly increase its attractiveness in this space.

I have spoken to peeps from Agora and they said there’s no API for Backendless at the moment, and they recommended me to use Agora Flexible Classroom.

Not sure what’s that, will check that out. I’ll have to work around it bcos it’s essential for what we’re building and Twilio’s pricing is untenable when Agora is around. >.<

But yea, was wondering if Backendless sees collab-ing with Agora as a move?

Thanks Mark and Team!

Hi Troy,

I looked at Agora to understand how it works. Based on what I gathered, it is not a direct replacement for Twilio. Twilio provides SMS/MMS capability and integration with the PSTN (phone network), while Agora handles voice calls and messaging strictly via their servers. For Twilio integration with use their REST APIs, while Agora’s REST APIs are very limited and they provide the majority of their functionality through native SDKs.

What kind of RTC do you need for your app? voice? text? If it is the latter, have you looked into real-time messaging we provide out of the box?

Regards,
Mark

Hi Mark, thanks for your reply. Understood.

It will be voice RTC. >.<

Mark, by any chance, do you know of any way to integrate voice calls into Appgyver-Backendless setup? Other than twilio.

If it is Agora and your client side is developed with Appgyver, this would be a question for the Appgyver crew, since Agora’s integration is done through their client side SDKs.

I see. What you mean is because of their client side SDKs, I can still use Backendless and integrate with Agora as long as Appgyver integrates with Agora?

A follow up question Mark. If we decide to use Twilio’s API, we can have voice call in the app right? with a Appgyver-Backendless setup. Voice call is critical to the app.

Hello @Troy_Lee

You can use Backendless and Agora through their API.
You can use Backendless and Appgyver and Agora.
You can use Backendless and Twilio.

Articles that can help you:
How to Integrate AppGyver With Backendless
Introducing Backendless Twilio Integration Plugin

Hey Vladimir! So you mean I can integrate agora with backendless and appgyver through agora’s API? ^^

Bcos my main concern is just having voice calls. That’s critical, twilio’s other SMS/MMS functions are not needed, its calling function is way too expensive.

You can see which API Agora provides and use it in Backendless.
You can also Integrate AppGyver With Backendless, and then integrate Agora with AppGyver. How to integrate Agora with AppGyver, you better find out from the Agora crew or AppGyver crew.

Thanks for your reply Vladimir, so what I’m hearing you saying is we cna use one of these APIs to integrate with backendless/Appgyver?

For example, RESTful API as shown?

Sorry it might seem like I’m asking a really dumb qtn, I really do feel that. I have no clue in these, it’s like a black map in front of me.

You can, for example, create an android project using the Backendless SDK for Android, connect the Agora Android SDK to it, and use the Agora Java API Reference for Android.

You can also use the Agora Server RESTful API alongside our Backendless REST API. Regarding whether the Agora provides voice calls through the Server RESTful API, you need to look in the Agora.

You can also build logic using Codeless and there make calls to the Agora Server RESTful API using blocks from the Codeless Network API section.

You can also build an application using the UI Builder and call the Agora Server RESTful API there using blocks from the Codeless Network API section.
More information about UI Builder:
In our blog
In our YouTube channel (Introducing Backendless UI Builder, Welcome to our UI Builder Masterclass)

ok, definitely good to know. As long as there are steps to connect Backendless and Agora, I’m happy. Whichever way it takes, I’ll figure it out.

Thank you so much Vladimir.

Hi Vladimir,

I think I just figured out that Appgyver doesn’t support third party SDK… I have asked them and they are not replying, but based on past forum chats, if nothing has changed, then they are still incapable of supporting 3rd party SDKs.

Just to chat with you, if I build my UI based on Backendless, there’s no problem with integrating with Agora right?

Since you mentioned earlier that there are 3 ways to do it:

You can, for example, create an android project using the Backendless SDK for Android, connect the Agora Android SDK to it, and use the Agora Java API Reference for Android.

You can also use the Agora Server RESTful API alongside our Backendless REST API . Regarding whether the Agora provides voice calls through the Server RESTful API, you need to look in the Agora.

You can also build logic using Codeless and there make calls to the Agora Server RESTful API using blocks from the Codeless Network API section.

Thanks in advance!