com.backendless.Footprint.get__meta()' on a null object reference

BackendlessFault{ code: ‘IllegalArgumentException’, message: ‘Attempt to invoke virtual method ‘java.lang.String com.backendless.Footprint.get__meta()’ on a null object reference’ }

This is the error message I sometimes get in Android when I try to update an object.
What does it mean exactly and what can I do to prevent it?

Hi Ludwig,

Please provide some part of your code where you run into the issue to help us reproduce it.

Part part = story.getExcerpt(); //retrieves a relation to a part in story. 
part.setText(editStory.getText().toString()); 
part.saveAsync(new AsyncCallback<Part>() { 
 @Override 
 public void handleResponse(Part part) { 

} 

@Override 
 public void handleFault(BackendlessFault backendlessFault) { 
 Log.d(TAG, backendlessFault.getMessage());
 } 
});

Are there any specific circumstances under which you get an exception and without which you don’t?

Yes. I realise now that the request always works the first time. The second time it fails with this exception instantly. If I restart the app, the request works again one time, and fails the remaining times.

Is it possible for you to send me some part of your project, which would reproduce the issue, to my email - sergey.chupov@themidnightcoders.com? Or if not, then at least the Part class implementation.

Sending you an email.

I just pushed a fix to GitHub repository, you can build a new JAR and use it in your project.

Thanks for contributing!

Awesome! Thanks for fixing bugs so quickly!

This error is also showing up to me and it is really frustrating. It shows up after updating a record in a table. The most surprising thing of it all is that it happens after several times of updating (not always) and once it shows up for the first time, it persists for the rest of the app lifetime.

What kind of error is this ?

Hi Victor,

Could you grab the latest jar from here (click ‘View Raw’) and try it again?:
https://github.com/Backendless/Android-SDK/blob/master/out/backendless.jar

Mark

Already done with a previous version and it seems that it has been fixed. Still I grabbed the latest version and we will see if same error will show up. Thanks!

Sorry Mark, same behavior

Regards,

George

@Victor,

Which version is the one that fixed your problem? can you provide me a link?

I have a webinar in about 1 hour, I’ll take a look at it right after.

@George,

I downloaded it about 4 days ago. I also had’nt any issues with the latest version.

I downloaded the latest version, but I have the same issues.

@Mark

Any update on this error?

Regards,

George

Not yet, got side-tracked.

@Victor and @George, I cannot reproduce the error. Could you share a sample which demonstrates the problem?