Connection error 111

We are getting some errors with the message: “upstream connect error or disconnect/reset before headers. reset reason: connection failure, transport failure reason: delayed connect error: 111”

It is happening on more than one method. I cannot find a root cause yet and wanted to ask if there are any known performance issues at this time or if the error message is known to you.

Online documentation makes this seem to be related to the port used. This is not something we actively manage in our app.

App ID: 4A47197B-AE30-FA84-FF56-0071F4010900

Hi @Andreas_Marinopoulos

Our team is checking for possible issues on our side.

Regards,
Marins

Hello, @Andreas_Marinopoulos

What exactly should I run to reproduce problem?

I don’t know as it appears randomly.

@Andreas_Marinopoulos, steps are essential for us, without them we can’t figure out the issue and help you. If you find something, please let us know.

Regards,
Marina

@Marina.Kan now it says code":503,“message”:“The service is currently unavailable.”,“status”:“UNAVAILABLE”

Are you having any internal issues you are aware of?

@Andreas_Marinopoulos

Are you having any internal issues you are aware of?

No, we do not see any issue from our side.

We see that you have services that execute more than 30 seconds

For the last 48 hours, there were at least 79 such requests. You should check the logic in the services

Yes, indeed but I have this

Shouldn’t I be okay?

@Andreas_Marinopoulos

let us double check, we will let you know soon

1 Like

@Andreas_Marinopoulos

the test method works fine:

➜  ~ curl -i -X "GET" "https://<our-generated-domain>/api/services/WaitService/Wait?waitInMilis=85000"
HTTP/1.1 200 OK
server: nginx
date: Tue, 16 May 2023 13:27:01 GMT
content-type: application/json
content-length: 21
cache-control: no-cache
access-control-allow-origin: *
access-control-allow-methods: POST, GET, OPTIONS, PUT, DELETE, PATCH
access-control-expose-headers:
strict-transport-security: max-age=86400

"waited for 85000 ms"%

So you to proceed the investigation we need steps to reproduce the issue

I will be needing your help as I cannot find any common pattern that will allow me to reproduce the issue.

May I ask the following questions that may help me reproduce:

• Does the phrase ‘upstream connect error or disconnect/reset before headers. reset reason: connection failure, transport failure reason: delayed connect error: 111’ correspond to a Backendless Error message?
  • You mentioned that we have services that execute above 30 seconds, yet with our enhanced scriot/code execution time, you are able to execute 85 seconds. Does that mean that the 79 requests you mention above are most probably > than 110 seconds (30sec + 4x20 sec enhanced script)?
  • This error might mean that the connection cannot be established, or the connection was refused by the server. Is this always something on our side, or might it be on your side?
  • Some of the errors are coming from services that are very short, not exceeding 110 seconds for sure. Is there any other reason why our API calls will be rejected by Backendless? Is there anything regarding the ports used for the API services, IP addresses of the Backendless servers, or anything similar that may cause errors?

Can you advise of any other ideas I might try to reproduce the issue?

We are getting lots of random errors and I am not sure where to start looking. Any guidance would be appreciated.

We are getting ‘Service Unavailable’. This signifies some Backendless dysfunction, no?

Here is a new error message:

18:30:25.572 | SERVER_CODE | INFO | [2457769] ResponseError: upstream connect error or disconnect/reset before headers. reset reason: connection failure, transport failure reason: delayed connect error: 111 at checkStatus (/usr/local/lib/node_modules/backendless-coderunner/node_modules/backendless-request/lib/request.js:330:9) at processTicksAndRejections (internal/process/task_queues.js:95:5) { code: undefined, status: 503, headers: { 'strict-transport-security': 'max-age=31556926; includeSubDomains', 'content-length': '145', 'content-type': 'text/plain', 'ratelimit-limit': '60', 'ratelimit-remaining': '41', 'ratelimit-reset': '1', 'x-ratelimit-limit': '60, 60;w=1, 100;w=1', 'x-ratelimit-remaining': '41', 'x-ratelimit-reset': '1', vary: 'Accept-Encoding', date: 'Tue, 16 May 2023 15:30:25 GMT', server: 'envoy', connection: 'close' }, body: 'upstream connect error or disconnect/reset before headers. reset reason: connection failure, transport failure reason: delayed connect error: 111' }

I wonder if:

1. There is any spot issues with the status of the remote server.
  2. There have been any recent changes with your firewall settings. Maybe the port our services are trying to connect to are blocked?
  3. Maybe the Backendless IP address we are trying to connect to has an issue?
  1. If the problem was with accessibility, then you would never be able to get access to the Google Drive API, yes, I understand that some requests go through.
  2. We don’t block in our firewall external resources, you can connect to all of them, but i’m check it manually and access to google drive api is available from our side.
  3. This is a possible option if there is some limit on the number of connections from one IP to the Google Drive API itself. But I think they should issue an error code and a alert message about exceeding the connection limit.

Do you have a counter of how many requests you make (from business logic) to Google API, for example, per minute?

Yes we have that. There are instances that we exceed the limit but they are not correlated with the errors above. A lot of the methods that are exhibiting this issue are not accessing the Google API at all. Is there some part of the error that makes you think it is the Google API?

@Marian_Koreniuk We found the below, does it help at all?

This document is not related to Backendless. But may you know anything about “the port our application exposes”, “how to manage the port our application is listening to”? Is there any setting related to this?

18:30:25.572 | SERVER_CODE | INFO | [2457769] ResponseError: upstream connect error or disconnect/reset before headers. reset reason: connection failure, transport failure reason: delayed
connect error: 111 at checkStatus (/usr/local/lib/node_modules/backendless-coderunner/node_modules/backendless-request/lib/request.js:330:9) at processTicksAndRejections (internal/process/task_queues.js:95:5) { code: undefined, status: 503, headers: { ‘strict-transport-security’: ‘max-age=31556926; includeSubDomains’, ‘content-length’: ‘145’, ‘content-type’: ‘text/plain’, ‘ratelimit-limit’: ‘60’, ‘ratelimit-remaining’: ‘41’, ‘ratelimit-reset’: ‘1’, ‘x-ratelimit-limit’: ‘60, 60;w=1, 100;w=1’, ‘x-ratelimit-remaining’: ‘41’, ‘x-ratelimit-reset’: ‘1’, vary: ‘Accept-Encoding’, date: ‘Tue, 16 May 2023 15:30:25 GMT’, server: ‘envoy’, connection: ‘close’ }, body: ‘upstream connect error or disconnect/reset before headers. reset reason: connection failure, transport failure reason: delayed connect error: 111’ }

This is an explanation of the error from the side of the application that works on the side of the Google Drive API, that is, they also have a proxy server that proxies to many application servers and the upstream error just comes from the side of the Google Drive APi infrastructure, that is, their server reports a 503 error because the backend of the application close connection due to errors or other factors.
From our side receive the full response provided by the server to which the connection was established. I can say for sure that in our infrastructure we do not use envoy proxy, and in this case the error responses come from the envoy web server.

I dug deeper, but everything points to an error on the part of the infrastructure where connecting, that is, the Google Drive API.

Perhaps the error began to appear after updating some parts of the Google Drive API infrastructure and after some time they will fix it, but you should create a ticket and describe the problem.

Thanks for this explanation. We will do so.

Are you not perplexed that the error also appears on services where our code does not call Google Drive API at all?

If the error appears in the code where there are no requests for the Google Drive API, then we need to understand to which external resource the connection is being created. So it is necessary to figure it out, I agree with you.

Perhaps these are requests to some external components of CodeRunner itself, I will now try to clarify with our developers.