Support Topics Documentation Slack YouTube Blog

Content-Type boundary issue when uploading a file

(Paul Barnes) #1

Hi

I have a chrome extension that is using backendless to upload a file. The code is :

var request = new XMLHttpRequest();
		request.open('POST', 'https://api.backendless.com/<API-KEY-OBSCURED>/<REST_API_KEY_OBSCURED>/files/binary/testName.webm?overwrite=true');
		request.setRequestHeader('Content-Type','multipart/form-data; boundary=RECORD_BOUNDARY');
		request.onload = function() {
			// Do Something 		
		};

var recorderBlob = { body: recorder.getBlob(), name: "testName.webm" };
		request.send(recorderBlob);	
                   // recorder.getBlob is a video/webm object containing a recorded screen

But the response returns a 400 with the following :

response = “{“code”:8002,“message”:“Could not parse request with message: Unexpected end of input, status code 400, headers POST /D5F0DFFA-0C36-CC73-FF39-171676325B00/A2C876F2-6E9C-EE22-FF0E-7C00506E6700/files/binary/testName.webm?overwrite=true”,“errorData”:{}}”

The documentation for the binary file upload does not describe what to do with the ‘boundary’ directive, but the API seems to need it.

Please can you advise ?

Paul

(Mark Piller) #2

Hi Paul,

I think it is an error in the documentation. I see the Example section here uses the following: Content-Type: text/plain. Could you please try making that change and see if it works for you?

Regards,
Mark

(Paul Barnes) #3

Hi Mark

Thanks for the quick reply.

I changed the content-type to text/plain.

Unfortunately, I still get this response expecting the ‘multipart/form-data’ :slight_smile:

response = “{“code”:6010,“message”:“Corrupted multipart request. Header Content-Type must be set to value multipart/form-data”,“errorData”:{}}”

Any ideas ?

Thanks
Paul

(Paul Barnes) #4

Hi Mark

the example you showed actually shows that it needs a PUT rather than a POST. When using a PUT rather than a POST with that content type, the response returns the 200 with the url to the file.

Though, I now need to understand why the file here, doesn’t look like a valid file - https://api.backendless.com/D5F0DFFA-0C36-CC73-FF39-171676325B00/A2C876F2-6E9C-EE22-FF0E-7C00506E6700/files/testName.webm

Any thoughts there ?

Cheers
Paul

(Anton Govorushkin) #5

Hi Paul

POST method is needed for basic file uploading, and PUT is for saving files from byte arrays. A working cURL sample attached.

curlSample.txt (14.7 KB)

I’ve just uploaded a .webm file successfully, please verify whether your base64 body is valid.

Regards,
Anton

(Paul Barnes) #6

Hi Anton

Thanks for that.

My version had some tags for the mime type at the beginning. I’ve stripped those and it now uploads successfully!!

Thanks!

Paul