Support Topics Documentation Slack YouTube Blog

Convert a date into a string for different timezones

I am trying to convert a date into a string for different timezones, is that possible in Codeless?

For example:
DateNow as a string in GMT, EST or PST. If the current datetime is Fri 9 Apr 2021 14:00 GMT,

I would like to print eg. Fri 9 Apr 2021 10:00 EDT or Fri 9 Apr 2021 7:00 PDT,

Is this possible?

Hi @Andreas_Marinopoulos !

At the current moment there is not such blocks in Codeless logic. Could you please decribe your use-case so maybe we could suggest your bypass?

Regards, Andriy

Sure, I am sending messages to people in different timezones regarding future appointments.

I use a timestamp for the actual sending of the message so that is not a problem.

But in the text of the message, I want to remind the people that their appointment is on Fri 9 Apr 2021 10:00 EDT or Fri 9 Apr 2021 7:00 PDT. As they are in different timezones, I cannot use a timestamp or a UTC time.

Your colleague has suggested something that solves the opposite problem here

But now I am in fact looking for the opposite, to express different strings for a timestamp.

I am having trouble with dates and I need a bit more documentation or point towards a youtube video or sth.

When I try this

as per @olhadanylova 's suggestion, I receive this "2021-02-11T20:00:00.000Z" which I believe is incorrect.

The other conversions don’t work either. Can you confirm?

Is the question about how to convert a timestamp to a different timezone? If not, then what? I am a bit confused about what the problem is.

Yes, I am trying to create a string of a date in a different timezone.

When I perform calculations, I use a timestamp and I don’t care about timezones, but here my use case is sending a message to a user’s email (which needs to contain the date in the email message using the user’s local timezone).

eg. I can start from a string in PST as above and end with a string in EST.

I see. We’d need to update the following block to accept the timezone information:

Until then, you’d need to compose the string manually. I cannot think of any other way, unfortunately. I will open an internal ticket to make that change.

Regards,
Mark

Thanks for that, may I also ask what the Set Date Property block does?

It uses the following function:
https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/JavaScript/Reference/Global_Objects/Date/setDate
where the first connector (date) is the date object and the second connector (value) is what’s passed into the setDate function call.