Custom validator for user passwords

In User Properties for password I’m trying to enter a regex in the custom validator box, but the Backendless system will not accept the regex. The system will accept a regex in other custom user fields.

How do i go about setting the rules (length, special characters, etc) for user passwords?

Thanks for you help.

Hi Loren,

Passwords can definitely be validated with custom regex. Here’s a screenshot from my test app:
http://support.backendless.com/public/attachments/4a73aedb3f4dcae775c4fc7efe9133a9.png</img>

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Mark

Thanks Mark … however, I’ve tried that. When i put my regex into the text box and hit enter a red “could not update password” appears on the console page and my regex disappears.

The system will accept a regex in other custom user fields.

Loren,

Do you already have any users in the Users table?

Could you please send me the regex you are putting in there?

Regards,
Mark

I have one user in the Users Table. The regex is: ^(?=.[0-9])(?=.[a-z])(?=.*[A-Z])(?=\S+$).{4,}$

I past in the regex, then hit enter. The regex disappears, and i get then get the red “could not update password”. See the attached screenshot.

Thanks for your quick reply.

I was able to use the same validator without a problem:

http://support.backendless.com/public/attachments/a8687a93d2a9b77837489c7b74a96233.png</img>

Do you have any user objects in the Users table?

Mark … i’m still not able to set a regex into the password Validator text box. The regex i’m trying to insert is:
^(?=.[0-9])(?=.[a-z])(?=.*[A-Z])(?=\S+$).{4,}$

I enter the regex and either press enter or move to another text box and i get the screen in the attached file.

As a test, i was able to enter the regex in my custom lastName property. I’m just not able to place the regex into the password property Validator.

Is there a setting i need to change to allow the regex to be entered? Any other ideas?

Thanks for your help.

Loren,

Do you have any registered users in the Users table? If you do, the system would prevent you from establishing a validator as their current passwords may conflict with the validator you’re setting.

Mark

After deleting all registered users i was able to insert my regex.

Problem solved. Thanks.