Data Algortihm help needed

Hello all,

Beginner here with no code experience but love the platform.
I’m trying to build an app around a data structure/algorithm and I’m not sure how to go about it.

I have a set of inputs that determines the output with special rules/algorithm.
The app is a solutions suggestion app for fixing a case specific damage.
User inputs damage details, additional input regarding solutions attempted and other factors that include/exclude some suggestions. Algorithm in the backend come up with the list of solutions excluding the ones tried or the ones that can’t be used in that case

User input:
Section A: Severity of damage and percentage of damage
Section B: Solutions attempted.
Section C: Factors that can prohibit certain solutions.

Output: is text. List of solutions that are suggested based on user input and algorithm.

The list of solutions are predefined and is different according to the severity level, mostly expands the more severe the damage is.
Algorithm simplified is list of solutions based on damage ’Section A’-solutions tried ‘Section B’-excluded solutions based on ‘section C’.

*All inputs are predefined
*No mathematical calculation needed.

To do the above through a data table is doable but not efficient and doesn’t provide an easy way to update the algorithm.

I am open to any suggestions on how to tackle this. I also imagine the algorithm might grow overtime so the more streamlined the process for the admin the better.

I read related forums talking about Finite state machine and Prolog but not sure that’s applicable to backendless and I don’t know how to code. Also I feel like the above could be built by an API but again I’m new to this so don’t know how to.

Thank you so much for your help and taking the time.

Attached are photos of UI mock design and one example of the algorithm.

Hello @medi_apps!

Welcome to our community and thank you for trying out Backendless.
I can recommend you our new courses, I’m sure they will help you find a good solution:

Codeless Fundamentals Training Course
Backendless User Management Course
Backendless Views

But if you want our team to help you create your app, we’d be happy to help you on a consulting basis.
For more information, please contact sales@backendless.com.

Regards,
Alexander

Thank you for your input Alexander. I was hoping for some direction in what technology is used for data algorithm so I can focus my learning on. I finished the initial missions and will take a look at the links you provided.

Can anyone help with this one please? I couldn’t find it in the tutorials. Much appreciated.

Hi, Medi.

Your question is a bit general, from the category of “how to build an application”. As Alexander said, such questions imply that somebody design the app for you.
We can help here if you stuck with the particular problem, or when you do not know how to do something specific.
I would recomment to start wity the trial of creating some small part of your project. Something isolated: set of functions, set of interface blocks, logic for input/output (gui or cli) and so on, so that you have a set of bigger building blocks.

Thank you for your response @oleg-vyalyh , I actually have a specific thing that I’m stuck at, and it’s making me wonder if Backendless is the right solution for my need. I need a relatively complex business logic with multiple input variables (around 23 predefined inputs). That’s it. How can I go about building that? I imagine it’s through building a RESTful API but I don’t know how.
I’m already familiar with building the other blocks around the needed one. all I need is that one big center piece. Appreciate your help in guiding me on this.

Hi @medi_apps ,

In your case the best way to implement it will be by creating you custom API service.

I read related forums talking about Finite state machine and Prolog

Since you said that your algorithm completely based on entered data there is no need to use those tools.

In general your flow can look in the next way:

1. User fill the form with information about damage and click “Submit” button.
  2. Your client-side logic on “onClick” event fetches all data from your form and sends it to your custom API service.
  3. API service defines appropriate options basing on passed data and return them back to client.
  4. Client logic receives appropriate options and displays them to the user.

About creation of custom API services using Codeless you can read more here API Services Overview - Backendless Codeless Development Guide

If you have any additional questions related to Backendless please post them here and I or my colleagues will try to answer them.

Regards, Andriy