Developing in Cursor

Hi All,

I am using a program called Cursor, which is like VS Code with AI smarts (https://cursor.sh/) that is really cool, and I am using it do play with developing an app which backend can deploy also in native formats. I created an app in backendless, and downloaded it to my PC, then made some edits in Cursor. I then tried to zip the changes and upload to backendless but I got an error about the json. I’m assuming this is probably not the workflow I should be using. So is there a template I can use which will connect to my backendless app that will sync the app to my local updates?

Or is there some documentation to explain how I code offline and have my app hosed in Backendless so I can the use the tools to create the native apps of what I have built?

Thanks!

Hello @Kathryn_Marie!

Here’s the Quick Start Guide to get you started.
Also, in the top right corner, you can pick a different SDK to get the info that’s just right for you.

We’ve got some cool training missions too.
I think the Starter Pack with Code will be helpful for you.

If you hit any snags or have questions, don’t hesitate to ask.
We’re all here to help!

Regards,
Alexander

Thanks so much Alexander!

1 Like

Okay, this might be a silly question. I have downloaded the template using flutter, so I can deploy in native and web formats, and so the structure in I have now opened on my PC is different to the one I initially created. Do I just delete all those files in backendless?

For the app to function properly, you need to use the template structure

So do I copy the structure I downloaded into the files in backendless?

Let’s backtrack a bit for clarity.
Could you give me a more detailed picture of your end goal?
What’s the final outcome you’re looking to achieve?
Also, when you mention “files in backendless,” could you specify what you mean?

Regards,
Alexander

The end result I am after, is to develop my app with cursor, using backendless for the database, and authentication. Below are the files and frontend in backendless, and I downloaded the template to edit locally, but I still have the files in backendless. Do I need these? What I ended up doing was pasting my new code back into these files, but that doesn’t seem right?

Thanks for your help!

Hi @Kathryn_Marie ,

Basing on screenshots it looks like you downloaded UI builder files, edited them and now want to put them pack to Backendless so platform would serve them to the clients via domain. This is not how we expected users to work with UI builder.

If you want to build your program with UI Builder you need to build using Backendless UI Builder editor.

If you simply want to write the code using IDE with AI and using Backendless as a backend you are not limited with UI builder. If you want to write mobile application (without http pages served by server) you can pick any programming language you like and write your client app using it. In such case your app will communicate with Backendless API using REST endpoints or via one of our client SDKs (JS/Java/Swift).

Regards, Andriy

Ah, I get it. So if I want to use backendless to deploy my web app and also package it as a native app I need to use the UI builder? Otherwise I can only use it as the backend if I’m using another IDE?

I wanted to use cursor to speed up development. Are there any plans for Backendless to implement AI features so I can describe what I am after (ie. build a profile page so a user can update their information)? Or do you know of any decent browser extensions that can read my files in backendless to generate code for me to copy and paste? I have been trying a few options, but nothing I’ve found a very mind blowing at this point.

@Kathryn_Marie

So if I want to use backendless to deploy my web app and also package it as a native app I need to use the UI builder? Otherwise I can only use it as the backend if I’m using another IDE?

Shortly saying, yes.
UI Builder was designed to speed up development process and simplify it. Also we have Backendless Viewer which simplify creation of mobile app from UI Builder pages. In case when you decide to use another IDE, internal “hooks” related to code transformation will not work. Also you will not be able to use Backendless viewer to create mobile apps.

I wanted to use cursor to speed up development. Are there any plans for Backendless to implement AI features so I can describe what I am after (ie. build a profile page so a user can update their information)?

We have plans to add AI support to UI Builder in future but without any strict dates at the moment.

Or do you know of any decent browser extensions that can read my files in backendless to generate code for me to copy and paste?

Unfortunately I do not know such extensions.

Regards, Andriy