Enabled User is given Guest User role!

Hi,

Some of my users have created an account (i.e. they have “ENABLED” userStatus in the Users table).
Yet, they are having problems loading some data. I have narrowed it down to a permissions issue.

Somehow, when I look into their data user permissions, they are given the role “Guest”. As a result some permissions are denied. How is this possible ? Have I misunderstood something ?

My app ID is D7075715-5086-625A-FFAB-39C2F40FB200 and you can see this happening with the user whose ID begins with 0F3270B5.

This situation is getting some of my users pretty nervous : Thanks for your quick help !

Hello @Nicolas_REMY

I’ve created an internal ticket to investigate how it is possible.

Regards

1 Like

It looks as though this is also the case for the following users :
E9100906-...
66E9CDBA-...

So this is not an isolated situation.

If the situation cannot be resolved now, can you advise on any workaround ?

@Nicolas_REMY

Do you know the steps to reproduce this case?
Are these users use the same login/registration flow as other users?

Absolutely no clue how this happens. I thought that when the user has a userStatus of ENABLED, then querying his roles returns AuthenticatedUser, and when GUEST, then GuestUser. But apparently it is not 100% related, and this is what surprises me. Shouldn’t it be exactly related ?

I do have several user acquisition flows, but from what I know, yes these users come from one of them, and they are no the only ones. Others have gone through each process without issue. When looking more closely, I did spot something, though. They have all been created within a relatively short timespan, in mid April :
Other users also registered during these few days, and had no problem, though.

@Nicolas_REMY

If to change userStatus from GUEST to ENABLED manually it will not change user role. But I think it is not this case.

Is there a way to change the user role from the console ?

@Nicolas_REMY
I’m trying to find out.

1 Like

That could be an idea : it would be possible to solve the issue for these users, and then monitor down the line to see if the issue reproduces or not.

I have even tried this as a Cloud Code method, and it still doesn’t work.

Please don’t tell me the problematic users’ roles are not somehow “stuck” :cry:

And if I try to set the desired role, I run into an error :

So basically my user seems “toast” :cold_sweat:

Sure hope we can find a way to get the roles in sync with the status.

hello @Nicolas_REMY

we will fix the case when someone changes the status to enabled in the console. To fix the issue with your customers, please give us the list of object Ids, which should be fixed. Send the list as a private message to staff on the support forum. We will fix the users directly in DB.

1 Like

I have just sent you the required information. Thanks.

@Nicolas_REMY I have changed user roles for these guys. Please check if everything is fine.

From what I can see, indeed it looks much better.
Now I need to get confirmation from my users.
I will come back here in case there is still an issue.
Thank you for your support.

You are welcome. Please in the future do not use the drop-down from backendless console to convert guests to general users. Use API to convert users from guest to general

@sergey.kuk, I have NOT converted these users from the console. These 3 users have converted from guest to general users using my app, so that is with the API.

However, as a side note, it seems awkward that using console could cause an issue. Could you not make sure that any change in console ensures data consistency ? That seems like quite a bit of a problem in case we have to use it.

1 Like