Error after saving to Backendless: unimplemented initializer 'init()' for class

I have an “Order” class and I’m trying to save it to Backendless. I can see from the order is getting saved to the database but my program throws an error when I get the response back:
“swift: 11: 7: fatal error: use of unimplemented initializer ‘init()’ for class ‘test.Order’”

Class causing error:

class Order: NSObject {

var user: BackendlessUser
 var latitude: Double = 0.0
 var longitude: Double = 0.0
 var locationDetails: String?
 var orderStatus: String?
 var price: Double = 0.0

init(user: BackendlessUser)
 {
 self.user = user

super.init()

}

}

Here is my function to save a newly created order to Backendless:

func createOrder(order: Order, completion: (Order?,Fault?) -> Void)
 {

let dataStore = backendless.data.of(Order.ofClass())

dataStore.save(
 order,
 response: { (result: AnyObject!) -> Void in
 print("Create order response received")
 let obj = result as! Order
 completion (order, nil)
 },
 error: { (error: Fault!) -> Void in
 print("server reported error: \(error)")
 completion(nil, error)
 })
 }

I never see my print statement on line 10, I hit the error before I get to that I guess, but I can see my order has been saved to the database.

After looking through the other questions in the support archive I saw a user with a similar problem and you had them add

override init() {
 super.init()
 }

I tried that but then started getting an error “Property ‘self.user’ not initialized at super.init call”. The resolution to that issue in the other thread I was looking at was to set that property to var instead of let but my property is set defined with var and I’m still getting the issue. (see attached)

Use “optional” BackendlessUser variable in class Order:

var user:BackendlessUser?

Problem solved. Thanks!

Edit: Got a little too excited there, problem not yet solved. Making my user property optional allowed me to do the super.init() without errors but I’m getting a new error now at around the same point (after submitting the order to backendless):
2016-09-11 19:11:46.140 test[6923:1383013] *** Terminating app due to uncaught exception ‘NSUnknownKeyException’, reason: ‘[<NSConcreteValue 0x7fb855ebece0> valueForUndefinedKey:]: this class is not key value coding-compliant for the key objCType.’

And now the order isn’t saving at all

Please provide your appId here or to support@backendless com, we will investigate this issue with your app.

We have created a sample project (see in attachment) which saves your Order class objects. It works for us.

Please check it with our appId and secretKey, then you could try it with your appId and secretKey. How do it work for you?

TestOrderSave.zip (20.55MB)

Your test app works fine for me using both the app id/key you provided and the id/key for my app. Very strange…

When I looked into the error it seems a common cause with Xcode is issues linking UI elements to code but I don’t think thats the issue here. I tried running the code right from my app delegate didFinishLaunchingWithOptions and got the same error so it can’t be UI related.

Any suggestions for where I could investigate? I have no problem creating my order object locally, its not until I run the Backendless dataStore.save function that I get an error.

I just noticed that you are using a different save funciton to me. I added the one you used to my app to see if that would change anything and now I’m getting a new error.

When I execute:

order = backendless.data.save(order, error: &error) as! Order

I get the following error: fatal error: unexpectedly found nil while unwrapping an Optional value

Not sure which optional value its referring to but I don’t understand how that error is occurring. The only required value is the user, any other properties are either acceptable optionals or doubles that are initialized to some value. I assume theres some connection between this error and the one I get when using datastore.save.

This is the whole funciton, i don’t see how I could possibly be getting the stated error:

func saveOrder() {

let geoPoint = randomGeoPoint()

var order = Order(user: backendless.userService.currentUser)
 order.latitude = geoPoint.valLatitude()
 order.longitude = geoPoint.valLongitude()

var error: Fault?
 order = backendless.data.save(order, error: &error) as! Order
 if error == nil {
 print("Order has been saveded: \(order.objectId) Lat: \(order.latitude) Long: \(order.longitude)")
 }
 else {
 print("saveOrder: server reported an error (2): \(error)")
 }
 }

You should call saveOrder() with dispatch_async() in app delegate didFinishLaunchingWithOptions:

dispatch_async(dispatch_get_main_queue(), { () -> Void in
            self.saveOrder() 
        })

And maybe you need to update the latest Backendless SDK (pod 3.0.38 release)

Okay, I had been running release 3.0.32 and I updated to 3.0.38 but now my project doesn’t recognize backendless objects. I tried adding a bridging header in case that was the problem but that didn’t help. (see attached)

This is really bizarre… I was using the SDK with no problems, then I started having the issue that started this thread, then I updated my Backendless SDK using cocoa pods and now my project doesn’t recognize backendless objects.

You should add bridging header file:
http://support.backendless.com/public/attachments/6f68c77a2ca1a38b25362f115ce4178b.png</img>
and set “Build Settings -> Swift Compiler … -> Objective-C Bridgeing Header” (SWIFT_OBJC_BRIDGING_HEADER) option:
http://support.backendless.com/public/attachments/6b69b30101ff0d6768e39657c18865ef.png</img>

as described in README of ios-SDK github:
If you use Swift, add to your bridging header file the following
a. for ‘Backendless-ios-SDK’:
#import “Backendless.h”
#import “MediaService.h”
b. for other pods:
#import “Backendless.h”

If you don’t have your briging header file, set “Build Settings -> Swift Compiler … -> Objective-C Bridgeing Header” (SWIFT_OBJC_BRIDGING_HEADER) option
a. for ‘Backendless-ios-SDK’:
${PODS_ROOT}/Headers/Public/Backendless-ios-SDK/Backendless-With-Media-Bridging-Header.h
b. for other pods:
${PODS_ROOT}/Headers/Public/Backendless/Backendless-Bridging-Header.h

Oh right, sorry, added the import statement to the wrong file.

Okay so my SDK is working fine now, but still having that same issue: fatal error: unexpectedly found nil while unwrapping an Optional value

Very strangely, I was experimenting and tried to create a new order class. I just called it Order2 and literally copied and pasted my original order definition and it worked fine. Out of curiosity, after seeing it work I then renamed my two order classes. I changed my original Order class to Order3 and changed Order2 to just Order. When I tried using the Order class then it resulted in that same failure so somehow the failure is specifically related to the class being named “Order”.

So I guess my issue is solved since I can just use a different class name, but thats really strange to me. It indicates there’s nothing wrong with my code since the same code runs fine if I just change the class name. What could cause an issue like that?. I’m also confused by the fact that I now need the bridging header, is that a new requirement with the latest release?

Thanks for all the help on this! Its really great how responsive you guys are.

Yes, from the pod 3.0.37 release a bridging header is needed to set manually, but only once. Next update will be OK.