Export Springboard App to Cloud9

I have an App in development that I want to migrate to Production.
I would like to create a new Cloud9 App and export the Springboard App to it but still keep my Springboard Dev environment.
Except Springboard can’t export.
Why not? Surely this would facilitate migrations to the paid platforms?
How can I achieve this?
Can I create a new paid Cloud9 App and then “temporarily” upgrade Springboard to do the export and import, and then downgrade the original to Springboard without paying extra?
Will the export migrate all tables and views and allow full import on Cloud9? ie: All of the backend? I do not have any Front End code to migrate.

Hello, @Tony_B.

You can transfer this to cloud9, clone and buy on a new springboard.

Best Regards, Nikita.

I got the existing Springboard doing the Missions. I don’t want to have to pay 50USD just to get it back again.
Can I create a Cloud9 App and temporarily upgrade Springboard to export to the new App?
And then downgrade back to original Springboard?
I also want to move to a new App in Europe to try it out as the US server gets slow later in the day. So I need a new App not an upgrade anyway.

Hi @Tony_B ,

Why not? Surely this would facilitate migrations to the paid platforms?

The main function of Springboard is to allow you to develop your app as long as you need before going to production. Since it is a “development” environment for a single app some constrains like disabled import/export, lack of SuperScalling are present.

How can I achieve this?

You can try “Sync Changes” feature. It was introduced to help developers to perform deploy from “dev” to “prod” environment.

Can I create a new paid Cloud9 App and then “temporarily” upgrade Springboard to do the export and import, and then downgrade the original to Springboard without paying extra?

You can upgrade your Springboard app to Cloud 9, export required data and then downgrade it back to the Springboard. But keep in mind that you will be charged for the month of Cloud 9 and will be downgraded at the end of billed period (in 30 days).

Will the export migrate all tables and views and allow full import on Cloud9?

Export/import functionality works only with your tables, views and data from DB. CloudCode services should be downloaded and deployed separately. Security and other configuration will not be migrated also.
In case of “Sync Changes” functionality all your Codeless CloudCode logic, security roles and other configuration will be migrated automatically. The full list of items which will be migrated you can check in the Console “Manage” > “Sync Changes”.

If you have any other questions fell free to ask and I will try to help.

Regards, Andriy

Thanks for your comprehensive response!
The “Sync Changes” sounds good.
So, can I set up an App in a new Cloud9 account and then deploy from my Springboard account to the new App in Cloud9?
Do I use the same App Name or does it have to be different?

I assume I could also migrate from US to UK server at the same time?
This is a “Southern African” app. Which would be the best server to use, UK or US?
I was using US, assuming that because the US starts work later than us, the performance would be good? Later in the day though it does slow down a lot.

and ps: how do I select the new app in the drop down on the sync changes page?
Or can I have more than 1 App in 1 Cloud9 account and just Sync from one to the other?

@Tony_B ,

So, can I set up an App in a new Cloud9 account and then deploy from my Springboard account to the new App in Cloud9?

Yes, correct. The only limitation here is that you can’t sync applications from different clusters (from US to EU or vise versa).

Do I use the same App Name or does it have to be different?

It can be different.

I assume I could also migrate from US to UK server at the same time?

As I wrote before, unfortunately “sync changes” only works in scope of one cluster.

This is a “Southern African” app. Which would be the best server to use, UK or US?
I was using US, assuming that because the US starts work later than us, the performance would be good? Later in the day though it does slow down a lo

Actually it is hard to tell which location will suit you best. I think that you should create test apps on trial on both clusters and perform some tests.
It seems to me that EU should be better for you since there are more internet magistrales to your country directly from EU. In case of US cluster traffic can go to EU at first (adding extra delay) or via one of the South Atlantic links which can be busy at the peak hours. But it is all just my guess basing on that map :slightly_smiling_face:
Also you should keep in mind that different internet providers can buy traffic from different magistral providers who in turn can use different routes for US.
So as I said before it is better to check response time by yourself. You also can use traceroute terminal command (on Linux, on Windows it can have different name) to find out exact route for your traffic from your PC to our servers.

and ps: how do I select the new app in the drop down on the sync changes page?

There will be dropdown with all your applications to which changes can be migrated.

Or can I have more than 1 App in 1 Cloud9 account and just Sync from one to the other?

Yes, you can do that.

Regards, Andriy

Thanks Andriy!
Can you assist me in migrating an App from US to a Cloud 9 UK App? It’s only DB tables and Views.

@Tony_B ,

Unfortunately I can’t temporarily unblock “import/export” logic for your app.

The only way for you just to buy Cloud 9 for one month to do this export or move all your tables by hands.

But at first I would recommend you to test response times from EU and US clusters. Maybe US will suit your needs better.

Regards, Andriy

1 Like