General queries about password field and others

Hello there,

I briefly showcase backendless to my boss and he was really pleased. he had quite a few questions, could you please help me to answer it?

1. Is there any audit mechanism on data table, to other words, record who changed what and when did it happen etc.
  2. is it possible to add a new email template?
  3. is password saved as in plain text, or hashed?

thanks.

Hi Ivy,

Please see my answers below:

1. Is there any audit mechanism on data table, to other words, record who changed what and when did it happen etc.

Not out of the box, however, for any changes driven through the APIs, you can create a Cloud Code event handler and log the changes. As for the changes using Backendless Console, that information is not tracked yet.

1. is it possible to add a new email template?

You can modify existing email templates with the editor built into Backendless Console. For other types of events when an email should be sent out, you can use the sendMail API with your own email content.

1. is password saved as in plain text, or hashed?

Passwords are hashed and salted.

Regards,
Mark

Thank, Mark! have a few more questions:

1. is there any built-in email tracking functions? for example, once the registration confirmation email is out, track if the user ever opened it, if he did, when?

2. do you have DB backup & recovery strategy? boss concerned about data lost.

3. any regular maintenance from your side? will i lost service during maintenance?

4. and the last, about data protection. are data saved in Backendless only visible and accessible to the app owner?

Hi Ivy, please see my answers below:

1. is there any built-in email tracking functions? for example, once the registration confirmation email is out, track if the user ever opened it, if he did, when?

No, we do not offer email tracking functions. However, you can integrate with SendGrid, Mailchimp, etc, as they offer APIs you could tap into.

1. do you have DB backup & recovery strategy? boss concerned about data lost.

Yes, we perform daily backup for the Backendless Cloud apps. If you need to recover data because you accidentally deleted something, there is an administrative fee associated with the recovery. The Managed Backendless offering includes more frequent backups.

1. any regular maintenance from your side? will i lost service during maintenance?

In most cases any updates we run on the servers are done without any downtime. If there is a scheduled downtime, it is announced in advance, so you can prepare for it.

1. and the last, about data protection. are data saved in Backendless only visible and accessible to the app owner?

Yes, that is correct. All data is sandboxed to your app and is visible only to the app owner. However, you need to make sure you configure security permissions in your app to make sure they are inline with the app’s requirements. For example, if you need only authenticated users to see their data, you need to set the permissions as such.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Mark

thanks very much. no further questions :slight_smile: