Google Maps alternative: Radar.io

Google Places API is expensive, so I’m looking at alternatives like HERE, TomTom, and https://radar.io/pricing.

Is this doable?

Backendless is a full featured mBaas platform.
Among the plenty of possibilities, it has API for working with Spatial types within database. You can store device coordinates using our Persistence API and then process these data in a way you want.

But, developing the client app is your responsibility.

Could you clarify what the app you want to build?

Thanks for the note Oleg.

I’m trying to build a delivery app. But I don’t necessarily want full-blown geolocation capabilities like an Uber type app. I don’t need to optimize routes/driving directions. Just want my users to do a place search and contact (text message) any member located at or near that retail store. So not on-demand, just on-the-way delivery.

According to Google’s API pricing, that simple task consists of about 15 different requests. That’s just for 1 user and for that specific search. 1 user will likely do 3-10 of these searches per day. As you can imagine that adds up: https://cloud.google.com/maps-platform/pricing/?_ga=2.34457829.558441250.1605899386-750397497.1603234187

Hello @Jet_Soloman

Thank you for trying out Backendless.
The tasks that you described are doable with backendless.

To work with geodata, we have Geolocation Data in Database.
You can work with them through our SDKs - JavaScript, Flutter, Android, iOS, .NET, REST.

Additionally, for a more flexible implementation of your wishes, we have Codeless, Cloud Code with JavaScript/Node.js, Cloud Code with Java.
To build the visual part of the application, we have the UI Builder - Check Out Our Free No-Code App Building Masterclass, How To Build A No-Code App With UI Builder, Introducing UI Builder - No Code Visual App Development

You can create your application based on a ready-made template, for your specific task the following templates may be of interest: Insta Clone - preview and GEO Chat - preview.

Our price policy:
Pricing Plans
More details about cloud prices:
Backendless Cloud Pricing
That is, for development purposes, you can use springboard for free, almost without any restrictions.