How to figure out used file space?

How can I figure out, how much space is already occupied on my backendless file system for a certain app?
Regards,

You can see it on the main dashboard of your app in Backendless Console and on the Manage > Billing screen (click the “show usage and charges” link for the current plan).

Regards,
Mark

Hi @mark-piller ,
This shows the total consumed amount. Good.
Is there a way to break this down by directory? The files API doesn’t seem to provide this information …
Regards,

Hi @Klaas_Klever

No, there is no API for calculating the size by folders.
May I ask you, why do you need that?

@vladimir-upirov Sure.
I want to understand, which components add to my total file space size. Are these pictures upoaded by users, or other file artifacts they generate by using my app. My goal is to take measures for optimizing the file size of individual file types. For instance, given a certain total file system size determined by my plan limits - is it feasible to allow users to upload three images related to one of their object (think of a recipe as an object), or should I better restrict to two images. Or putting it the other way round: with how many user will I hit the total file system size limit? I need to know this, to be able to choose an appropriate pricing model for my users (and me :slightly_smiling_face:).

What I can do is to create a blank new app and check the total consumed file space. Assuming that the generated html and javascript artifacts are neglectable in size (on the scale of giga bytes), I think I can get an idea about the mentioned scaling behavior.

Makes sense?

Hi Klaas,

This problem can be solved using the following approach:

1. Create a directory structure that will make it easier for you to see which files are uploaded by users vs. generated by the system.
  2. Use the directory listing API to fetch the files listing and then iterate over the result to calculate the total size.

Regards,
Mark