How to style "Textarea" component

Hi all,
There are no text styling options that I can see for Textarea, and my attempts at straight css in an extension have had no effect. I don’t need much, font and padding will do. Any pointers as to what to look for?
Bonus points if you can help me style the “Select” component…

Thank you,
Roger

Hi Roger,

Here’s how to style a component in UI Builder:

1. Select your component and assign a CSS class name. In my case, the class name is textAreaStyle (ignore the font styling for now, we will get to it later on in the instructions):
  2. Switch to the THEME tab and click New Extension:
  3. In the Create New Style popup type in a name for your extension (I named it textarea but it can be any name).
  4. Paste the following CSS in the text editor for the extension:
    @import url('https://fonts.googleapis.com/css2?family=Ms+Madi&display=swap');

.textAreaStyle textarea {
      padding: 30px;
      font-family: 'Ms Madi', cursive;
      font-size: 56pt; 
    }

5. Run your page, you now have a text area with 30 px padding, custom font and 56pt font. Here’s mine:
    https://www.backendless.us/api/files/ui-builder/containers/support/index.html?page=textarea

Hope this helps.

Mark

Thanks for getting back Mark,

This is the result of setting the padding to zero in UI Builder, and what I would expect:
Screen Shot 2022-04-25 at 8.13.29 PM

But here is what it looks like in the desktop preview window:
Screen Shot 2022-04-25 at 8.12.23 PM
There is no other CSS in the extension, just:

padding: 0px;
}

Setting the padding to a high value works, just not low.
Although I just checked in the preview theme window and it looks like this even without any css at all:

So there may be a some anomaly with things since the text on the left hand boxes is shifted with nothing applied. I flushed cache and reloaded backendless to no effect.

Thanks again,
Roger

There must be something else in your app that changes the rendering of the input boxes.

I set the padding to 0px in my extension and this is what it looks like:

Please let me know your app id and we will take a look.

Regards,
Mark

Thanks,

Unbeknownst to me there was text styling markup in the “library” tab in the theme section which was the cause of the weird display in the preview window. No change in textarea, but I think I figured out why. You can recreate it:

Make new blank app
drag in a textarea and set its dropdown to outline
place this css in an extension:
padding: 0px;
outline-style: dotted;
outline-width: 4px;
}

And you get this in UI Builder and Preview respectively:
Screen Shot 2022-04-26 at 11.29.01 AM
Screen Shot 2022-04-26 at 11.30.06 AM

It seems the Textarea component is not using the standard outline property for the “outlined” option, and whatever it’s wrapped in has its own padding(The same thing seems to be going on with the outlined version of “Select”) But it works in UI Builder interface for everything which is interesting. As a workaround, I’ll put the standard textarea into a block with a border to match the theme outline. Not sure what I’ll do about the select box though.

Roger

Hello @Roger_Quennell

Sorry for the issue. I have created an internal ticket BKNDLSS-28300 to investigate more deeply.