I need Clarity on GeoPoint

I added a GeoPoint as one of the columns in my Vehicle table. In one of your examples I saw that I needed to represent this column as a GeoPoint data object in my Vehicle class. But in another example I saw a different approach. (the GeoPoint data object wasn’t included in the class)

In this Architect class the GeoPoint data object is not included

public class Architect { private String nationality; private String name; private Date birthday; private String objectId; public void setName(String name) { this.name = name; } public String getName() { return name; } public void setBirthday(Date birthday) { this.birthday = birthday; } public Date getBirthday() { return birthday; } public void setNationality(String nationality) { this.nationality = nationality; } public String getNationality() { return nationality; } public String getObjectId() { return objectId; } public void setObjectId(String objectId) { this.objectId = objectId; } }

//But saving and retrieval works just fine

Architect gustaveEiffel = new Architect(); gustaveEiffel.setName(“Gustave Eiffel”); Calendar calendar = Calendar.getInstance(); calendar.set(1923, 11, 27); gustaveEiffel.setBirthday(calendar.getTime()); gustaveEiffel.setNationality(“French”); Backendless.Data.of(Architect.class).save(gustaveEiffel, new AsyncCallback() { @Override public void handleResponse(Architect savedArchitect) { GeoPoint eiffelTower = new GeoPoint(48.85815, 2.29452); eiffelTower.addCategory(“towers”); eiffelTower.addCategory(“placesToVisit”); eiffelTower.addMetadata(“name”, “Eiffel Tower”); eiffelTower.addMetadata(“architect”, savedArchitect); Backendless.Geo.savePoint(eiffelTower, new AsyncCallback() { @Override public void handleResponse(GeoPoint geoPoint) { Log.i(TAG, "Geo point has been saved - " + geoPoint.getObjectId()); } @Override public void handleFault(BackendlessFault fault) { Log.i(TAG, fault.getMessage()); } }); } @Override public void handleFault(BackendlessFault fault) { Log.e(TAG, fault.getMessage()); } });

Which approach is recommended?
And I really don’t understand what the addMetadata, and addCategory does. How do they affect data retrieval. I want to be able to Geotag each record with a GeoPoint and then be able to retrieve records sorted by my proximity to each record. That is, I want the records with GeoPoints closest to me to appear first. Just like ride hailing app, but I don’t want to set this criteria in whereclause, I want to do it in sort order as explained above.

Hello @Nkekere_Tommy_Minimann

Seems like you mixed two approaches working with GEO:

1. Spatial Data Types (Point, LineString, Polygon, etc.)

2. Legacy GEO Service, WHICH IS NOT SUPPORTED anymore, and such methods as addMetadata and addCategory don’t make any sense anymore.

So, you need to use the first one, just create a new column (Geotag) in the specific data table and select GEO Point Data Type and then you will be able to use this API

Regards, Vlad