Import data and geopoint

I would like to import a data file (that contains lat and long coordinates) and create the corresponding geo point during the import. Is this possible? I have thousands of records so setting the geo point manually isn’t an option.

Thanks,
Dan

Hi Dan,

Yes, you can do that. Please see the following documentation page, specifically the sub-section titled “Importing for Geo Service”.

Regards,
Mark

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the quick reply. I’m able to import a geopoint file but I would like to do instead is to import a data file (see attached same file) that contains long and lat coordinates. During the import of this data file I would like the corresponding geopoint to be created and associated to the data file record.

Thanks,
Dan

Organization.csv (4.48kB)

Hello Dan.
You can create two .csv files - for geopoints and for data (see attachments).
Then you can import them.

Regards,
Olga

Person.csv (107B)

GeoPoint.csv (193B)

Hi Olga,

In your example (the two files) there is a guid shared between the two files. I understand what the guid is and how it represents the relationship between the two files. However, how is that guid created in the first place? Meaning, if this is a brand new import where does the guid come from? Do I make it up?

Thanks,
Dan

Hi Olga,

So I figured this out. Starting with a single file in excel I created a GUID column. I then split the single file into two files…one representing the geo points and one representing the data. The GUID column was used in both files representing the relationship. Thanks for your help.

Thanks,
Dan

Hi Dan,

Yes, you can create this id by yourself, just make sure it is the same in related files.

Regards,
Olha