Is the user management in external database now available in standalone Backendless server 3.0?

Hello Team,

I am using a MySQL server for my website and already have the User details in it. I am trying to develop an app for the same. Can I use the User Service to manage the User table in the external db?

Also will I still get the “Send Confirmation Link” functionality if I use the external database for user?

Thanks in advance.

Hi, Puneet Gulati
At the moment external database management is not available in Backendless Standalone.

Ohh. :frowning:
So will I be able to use the User table of Backendless and external database together?

Because as far as i can understand, database of Standalone Backendless and the external database will be mutually exclusive.

Ohh sorry…i guess i got it all wrong…

Were you trying to say that with Standalone Backendless the developer won’t be able to use the external database at all.

That is right. If you use Standalone Backendless you cannot use the external database.

But you can export your users info and than import it into Backendless. Does this option fit your needs?

I am not sure with the import thing as the web site is already working with the MySQL database.

If I import the db from there all the calls from the website will have to be directed to backendless server which is something that will add a lot to the work.

So now I will ask two more questions:

1. If I use Backendless cloud platform and import the database there, will I be able to manage Users in the external DB with the UserService from the Android SDK and still get the Send Confirmation Link functionality?
  2. If I import the data from external db into Backendless Standalone, can I sync the two dbs every time some table is updated?

In order to use UserService from Android SDK the users should be in a table “Users” in the backendless database.
To do this, you should import the users into Backendless. You can do it both in Cloud and Standalone modes.
Concerning your second question (about syncing 2 databases) - Backendless does not provide a service like this, so it is all up to you. Maybe it will take more work to implement this than moving you users information completely to Backendless.

Hello again, :slight_smile:

Can you tell me the name of the mysql database that Backendless gives to its database.

Why do you need to know that?

I want to sync my existing MySQL databases with the Backendless’s MySQL database. I will form a master-master relation between the two. Since the website is already running with the existing database, and the mobile app will use Backendless, it is the only solution that I can think of.

This is not covered by support and would be in the domain of the Backendless Professional Services (consulting) team. Feel free to contact our sales to get a quote.