Messages: "Make sure to configure SMTP server settings..." then "Not allowed to save settings..."

While following the tutorial Task: Modify “Registration Confirmation” email template I sent a test email to myself. This first one arrived in my inbox without any problem. But I noticed the changes I made to the message weren’t reflected in the email I received, so I clicked the Save button, then sent a second test email. After saving my modified email template, test emails stopped arriving in my inbox.

There were the following pop-up messages:

configure-smtp-server-settings

The template has been successfully saved. Make sure to configure SMTP server settings on the Manage > App Settings > Email Setting screen so that email messages can be sent.

When I located the email settings and tried to save them, I got the following pop-up message:

not-allowed-to-save-settings

Not allowed to save settings with default SMTP server.

Does anyone know what I’ve done wrong, and how I can get test emails working again?
I would like to try the email formatting tools, as well as make sure I don’t run into this problem in the future.
Thanks.

Hello @Causality

Did the changes you made to the message affect the Registration Confirmation template?

Regards

@viktor.liablin Thank you for the reply. Yes, the changes I made were saved in the Registration Confirmation Template.

I just tried to send a test email again. This time I got the message:

Cannot send email with the default Email Settings. Change the Email Settings in the console and try again.

I wonder what I am supposed to change though. It looks like I am not allowed to change anything.

Edit: Maybe I should mention that I also got an email notifying me of failed recipients. In other words, the test email didn’t arrive, but an email notifying me of its failure did.

@Causality

The default settings allow you to send only default templates. If you change the template, you need your own SMTP to send it.

1 Like

@viktor.liablin Oh, thank you for the important information. Can you please explain more about this?

What processes are handled by Backendless and what process are handled by one’s own SMTP?

…Because there is an editor for customizing the email message content, but from your statement it seems the sending of the emails would be handled by a personal SMTP server.

I don’t have experience with email marketing or email server maintenance, so I don’t know exactly what to ask, but any information to help me understand what this configuration would look like would be appreciated.

@Causality

You need to fill in these fields in the Console.

Here is the Gmail guide for SMPT

1 Like

What processes are handled by Backendless and what process are handled by one’s own SMTP?

The system emails that Backendless sends you (all types of notifications about your app, billing, etc) are handled by our system SMPT. All custom emails (those you see in the Emails section, including System Templates category if a template was changed) should be handled by your personal SMPT (we can’t share the same SMTP for all apps for obvious reasons).

So to send you custom templates or changed system templates you need to provide your SMTP settings in the Manage > Email Settings section (see the screenshot above).

Regards,
Stanislaw

1 Like

@viktor.liablin @stanislaw.grin
Thank you both for the helpful information!
I think I have what I need to take the next steps.