Support Topics Documentation Slack YouTube Blog

.NET: Problem retrieving object with SortBy QueryOption

(Mike Mazur) #1

I need receive data just from Users table and sorted by one of the columns. let’s call it “SortField”.

i use the following method for it :

public static BackendlessAPI.Data.BackendlessCollection<BackendlessAPI.BackendlessUser> GetUser(string whereClause, string property)
        {
            PersistenceService persistenceService = new PersistenceService();
            BackendlessDataQuery dataQuery = new BackendlessDataQuery(whereClause);
            dataQuery.Offset = 1;
            dataQuery.QueryOptions = new QueryOptions()
            {
                 SortBy = new List<string> { property }
                // internal weborb error appear 
            };
           //  dataQuery.Properties = new List<String> { property };
            BackendlessCollection<BackendlessUser> freeUsers = persistenceService.Find<BackendlessUser>(dataQuery);
            return freeUsers;
        }

when i remove SortBy option all works perfect. But when i execute query with SortBy = new List<string> { property } line, error inside of webord.dll appear “An unhandled exception of type ‘System.NullReferenceException’ occurred in weborb.dll” (see file attached.)
I specially applied part of code from your PersistenceServiceTest.cs
[TestMethod()] public void findWithSortByConditionTest() { string entityName = “Person”; //for (int i = 0; i < 15; i++) //{ // Dictionary<string, object> dict = new Dictionary<string, object>(); // dict.Add(“Name”, “test” + i); // dict.Add(“Age”, 20 + i); // persistenceService.Save(entityName, dict); //} try { BackendlessDataQuery query = new BackendlessDataQuery(); query.QueryOptions = new QueryOptions { SortBy = new List<string> { “Name” } }; var ps = persistenceService.Find<Person>(query); Assert.IsNotNull(ps); } catch (BackendlessException ex) { Assert.AreEqual(“adafa”, ex.Code); } }
and still receiving this error.

(Mark Piller) #2

Hi Mike,

Could you please confirm if you’re using the latest SDK for .NET from our website?

Regards,
Mar

(Mark Piller) #3

Btw, I just tried the following code with the latest assembly and it works just fine:

BackendlessDataQuery dataQuery = new BackendlessDataQuery();
      dataQuery.Offset = 1;
      dataQuery.QueryOptions = new QueryOptions()
      {
        SortBy = new List&lt;string&gt; { "email" }
      };

BackendlessCollection&lt;BackendlessUser&gt; freeUsers = Backendless.Data.Of&lt;BackendlessUser&gt;().Find( dataQuery );
      List&lt;BackendlessUser&gt; users = freeUsers.Data;

foreach( BackendlessUser user in users )
      {
        System.Console.Out.WriteLine( user.Email );
      }

(Mike Mazur) #4

Thank you Mark,
I was using the latest .Net 4.0 assembly from https://backendless.com/backend-as-a-service/downloads/

I 've found the solution of this problem. The same error appear if you place weborb.config in any other place instead of bin/debug folder in console application.
In my case another library BackendlessApi.dll works with your sdk that have it’s own bin/debug folder, but it was wrong practice.
I am using MVC 4 application as start project, so there is only bin folder, and all config files should be placed right in project directory. After this applications work right.

weborrb.config.png

(Mark Piller) #5

Hi Mike,

Yes, indeed, it needs to be present there. We need to figure out a way to alert the developer if the file is not found, or simply remove the need for the file.

Regards,
Mark