Notifications now being sent to devices

For some reason, notifications aren’t being published anymore on our platform.
No changes were made to the structure of the code but it now doesn’t work any longer.

Application ID:
E655DC15-398E-A358-FFC1-1D414D006C00

We use the “push_notification_to_user” custom function to make that call.

hello @Innocent_Nwaukwa

I am sorry that you have such an issue. When you send a push notification backendless responds with messageId Get Message Status - Backendless REST API Documentation, when you call get message status after a couple of seconds what do you get?

be aware that you should use full response as message id for example message:6052643A-F96C-4253-BCF0-F606A4BBB794

For the codeless, we use this call:

And it was fine before but not sure what changed.

It might have been a result of Monday’s maintenance.
It’s the second issue we’ve experienced since then but have a workaround here:

The maintenance didn’t touch you logic or api related to mail sending.
Could you clarify, please, whether you receive any error messages for specific sending (use get message status which Sergey mentioned above).

That’s the thing, we don’t receive a message any more.
It’s almost like the send operation never actually finishes execution.

Reason why I bring up the maintenance from last week is because, it was after the maintenance that we had issues with Geolocation points and this issue as well with notifications; everything was fine before it and while I’m sure, it doesn’t seem the logic was touched, I can only point out what I’m experiencing.

I included screenshots of the logic for sending the notifications but here’s what the response looks like:

Thing is, nothing gets sent either way.

I’ve attempted switching over to creating a template for publishing notifications but I can’t seem to get that to work either despite following the example:
https://backendless.com/docs/rest/push_about_push_templates.html

Hello @Innocent_Nwaukwa,

We don’t experience any issues with push notifications right now. Could you please check if your APNS certificate is valid? I see it was added on September 1, 2022 (for over a year now) - maybe it is expired.

Regards,
Olha

You might be right on that.
I’ll check with my team to make sure we have a valid certificate; thank you.

Alright, we’ve replaced our old certificate but still not getting notifications.
Can’t even send test notifications.

Do you know what could be the issue; I’ve included our application ID in a previous message in the thread.

Hello @Innocent_Nwaukwa!

We apologize for the inconvenience.
Could you please check the status of the message and show the response?
This information would be incredibly helpful for us in resolving this issue.

You can use this block for that:

https://backendless.com/docs/rest/push_get_message_status_2.html

Regards,
Alexander

Hi,

I tried sending a message with this ID: EEEB1D1A-BC52-4DBE-9620-4668E5B78BC2.

But not getting a status back.

• Innocent.

Attempted using the endpoint we usually use for sending notifications:

Seems to be scheduled.

Thank you for the provided information.

Could you please try again to fetch the message status by changing the value from messageId to message:messageId (as shown in the screenshot)?

Regards,
Alexander

Got this message back:

{
“sendingTimeInMillis”: 197,
“failedSendsAmount”: 2,
“errorMessage”: “[ deviceId: "6AC7A9CA-4C5A-4060-A138-6A27F251965F", message: "Invalid mobile settings for IOS. You have selected the PRODUCTION mode for the uploaded certificate. Please make sure the mode corresponds to the certificate type."]\n[ deviceId: "A41B6CAD-39A9-48C7-A2D1-851DCEEAB70E", message: "Invalid mobile settings for IOS. You have selected the PRODUCTION mode for the uploaded certificate. Please make sure the mode corresponds to the certificate type."]\n”,
“messageId”: “message:06594E25-B386-40E0-A357-E38D5EC5C2D7”,
“successfulSendsAmount”: 0,
“status”: “failed”
}

Need to look at the corresponding type in our apple connect account.
Maybe, created the certificate with the wrong type.

I looked back at the steps on the is page
(Push Notification Setup (iOS) - Backendless SDK for JavaScript API Documentation)
again but I can’t export to .p12 for a push notifications SSL certificate.

Our current certificate is an Apple Development cert so, it’s a “Development” type.

Innocent.

Hi!

In case you need a Production Certificate, you should select the Apple Push Notification service SSL (Sandbox & Production):

When the certificate is created you’re able to download it in the .cer format. It’s OK.
When you download the .cer file, double click the it to install in Keychain Access. You’ll be able to generate the .p12 file from Keychain Access: right click on the installed certificate → Export → Select the .p12 type and create a password for it:

In case you click the .cer file and it doesn’t appear in Keychain Access it means the certificate’s private key is lost and you should regenerate the certificate again.

Regards,
Olha

1 Like

I’ve attempted that previously and everything is fine until it’s time to export to .p12.

It just doesn’t give that option and I’m not sure what the issue is.

Innocent Nwaukwa.

Found the issue!

Turns out we needed to create the certificate through the correct identifier for our Application Development certificate in the Apple developer console.
Then, export through the login tab in Keychain access.

After all that, we’re back in business; main issue originally was that the certificate had expired.

Thank you so much for the assistance,
Innocent.

1 Like

Glad you found it out!

1 Like