Push notification is not delivered to all registered android devices

Hello,
I implemented push notification in an app and it is working fine but sometimes I observed that the push notification is not delivered to all the registered devices. I followed all the steps during sending messages from the server on the default channel selecting all OS.
Please help me in resolving the issue. Either I am missing something or is there any bug in the code?
Thanks
Sajal

Hello, @Varsha_Agarwal.

Could you please provide your App id?

Best regards, Nikita.

Hello Nikita, Please find app id below.
CE8FA832-3D2A-423C-9AC4-FB8BCB3C7284

Hello @Varsha_Agarwal

We will be happy to assist you. I need to ask you a few more questions so I can understand the problem better.
How do you determine which device did not receive a notification?
When sending notification1, device1 received it, but when sending notification2, device1 did not receive it?
Has the app changed between sending notification1 and notification2?

Hello Vladimir,
Some of my family members also installed the app and whenever I push the notification I checked in all those devices to which I have access.
No, the app didn’t change between notification1 and notification2.
Thanks
Varsha

I have one more observation that happen with me today only. Devices received duplicate copies of push notification. I don’t know how it happen.

@Nikita_Fedorishchev @Volodymyr_Ialovyi

@Varsha_Agarwal, sorry for the wait, we are investigating your issue.

Regards, Nikita.

Would you provide a minimal step-by-step example that reproduces the behavior you described?

Also clarify how exactly do you send notifications: Push from Console - Backendless SDK for Android/Java API Documentation or Push with API - Backendless SDK for Android/Java API Documentation

Regards, Nikita.

@Nikita_Fedorishchev

No, it’s random, I don’t have any specific step-by-step process.
I used console for pushing the notification and I am using all the steps explained in the doc.
https://backendless.com/docs/android/push_push_from_console.html

Thanks
Varsha

@Varsha_Agarwal I created a ticket(BKNDLSS-26069) to investigate this issue. We will contact you when there is any news.

Best regards, Niktia.

Thank you @Nikita_Fedorishchev please keep me updated. Also, make it a high priority if you have any options.

@Nikita_Fedorishchev @Volodymyr_Ialovyi @mark-piller

I would like to highlight one more thing, Rich media is not visible on some of the devices. Please check.

@Nikita_Fedorishchev @mark-piller
Any update on the issue?

Hello @Varsha_Agarwal

We will inform you about any updates in this topic

Regards,
Viktor

@viktor.liablin
Any tentative timeline?

Here’s the timeline:

1. Research
  2. Fix if needed
  3. Deploy to dev environment, test there
  4. Deploy to stage environment, test there
  5. Deploy to production, test there
  6. Report on the support forum that the fix is done

Now, if you ask to provide a time estimate, I will be simply impossible, because there may be 20, 30, 50 fixes, improvements, new features in every release.

However, if you want to have guaranteed commitment with timelines for fixes, consider upgrading to one of the enterprise products: Managed Backendless or Backendless Pro.

Regards,
Mark

Thanks, Mark for the reply. I do understand, a lot of steps are involved in fixing the issue.
It’s has been some time since I raised the issue, do we have any updates?

Hi, @Varsha_Agarwal

We have checked your case on our app. We registered different versions of android devices, we used the following android versions: 24, 25, 27, 28, 29, 30 (all versions that you have in your app). We were able to get notifications on all the devices above when we sent the push.

Please provide us with the version of Backendless SDK you are using?

To solve your issue, we recommend that you keep track of which devices are not receiving notifications. Please clarify if it is a different device each time or if it is the same device. Сheck the versions of the operating systems on the devices that are not receiving notifications. And let us know them. If it is the same device, make sure that notifications are not forbidden for that app.

Earlier you wrote that you are sending messages via console. Try also sending messages through API and then check the status of that mail. What message status do you see?

You can use the following documentation to do this:

Push with API - Backendless REST API Documentation

Get Message Status - Backendless REST API Documentation

Could you please enable detailed logging in your app on Android device and share them with us?

Also check if you are sending messages to these devices through Firebase. If you send messages through Firebase to all these devices, do you get notifications or is it the same problem there?

Regards,
Marina

Hello @Marina.Kan,

Thank you for the reply.
I am using below tutorial to implement the push notification in android environment which uses firbase in the backend for sending the notification.
https://backendless.com/docs/rest/push_push_notification_setup_androi.html

Reception of notification is random and it is not restricted to particular device. I have observed one device in particular which didn’t receive most of the notification.

Operating system version:- Samsung S8
Android Version:- 9 and Samsung Knox version:- 27
Backendless Version:- 5.3.0

I am not sending any notification directly through the firebase hence I can’t validate the last point. I am following your above tutorial to implement push notification in my app.

Please let me know if anything else is needed from my side.

Thanks
Varsha