Question about real time messaging

does the real time messaging use pooling? does every connected user must “fetch” new data?

Hi @mohammad_altoiher

not aways, it uses socket.io library, so if sockets are available there it will use WebSocket otherwise it will use pooling

All our SDKs take care about getting new messages, take a look at the doc https://backendless.com/docs/js/pubsub_message_listener.html

Regards, Vlad

@vladimir-upirov
excellent! i was looking at socket.io so its already in backendless
so i must use a client SDK to get the benefits? using only codeless on the server will not be enough?

I’m not sure what do you mean, could you please describe your goal in details?

so i must use a client SDK to get the benefits?

yeah, without our SDK it won’t work

using only codeless on the server will not be enough?

Codeless works on the server, and it has an invocations time limit, but for RealTime we must have a live subscription which will be subscribed to our RealTime server over sockets.
But you are able to send messages from BusinessLogic.

in my mobile app i use ajax to post and get data from backendless and i use codeless on the server.
so i was hoping that i can keep using the same approach for the real time messaging.

I highly recommend you to enable JS-SDK into your app, it’s the easiest way to get RT working.

However, you can reimplement methods for RT Messaging using our RT-Client and prying into source code of the JS-SDK

1 Like