Real Time APIs: Questions

In UI Builder, I’m seeing a lot of blocks in the section “Real Time API”. I know this documentation, but there some blocks for which I cannot deduce what they are (hope I did not miss something in the docs). These blocks are about

1. channel commands. What is this?

2. shared Objects. What is this?

3. Further, what is the lifetime of a listener If I’m adding one with an Add-Block in UI Builder? Does it survive a page refresh, or navigation step?

4. Is a listener once created active only for this page, or for the whole application?

5. If I would shift the listener handling into backend service, how could I refresh web pages (or catch events there) if a RT event is catched by my server code?

Maybe there are good links to existing documentation, which I’m not aware of.
Thanks,

1 Like

Hi, @Klaas_Klever

You didn’t miss anything, the documentation hasn’t been added to these blocks yet. We will do it soon.
About your third and fourth points: The lifetime of the listener is the same as in the usual code, as long as the program is running. The created listener will work until the application is restarted or only If the listener was not removed intentionally it will work.

About your last point:

If I would shift the listener handling into backend service, how could I refresh web pages (or catch events there) if a RT event is catched by my server code?

Could you please specify in more details your case.

Regards,
Marina

hi Marina,

Has documentation been added for the Codeless Real Time API yet?
I stepped through each section of the “Backendless Codeless Development Guide” but it still seems to end with the Network and Errors API.

I also used my phone to check the full menu but I couldn’t find the Real Time API listed here either.

Am I looking in the wrong place?

Is there a way to send a RT Channel Command by using code from a app outside of backendless

@Chad_Wyatt

let’s continue here

1 Like