Regarding users and storage limitation for free account

Hi

I have a query regarding the above mentioned topic.
Limitation of 100 users, 20GB storage etc are on per app bases or including all the apps, i.e. for the whole Backendless account.

Thanks,
Tushar

Hi Tushar,

All limitations are on the per app basis.

Regards,
Mark

Thanks Mark,

T

I noticed with the new limitations, that you now limit the number of objects to a table to 200000. I don’t recall a limit previously. With this new limit, my cost model would exceed the original $99 per month plan.

Also, the extra $5 per month for 20 seconds of script execution time, does that compound? So if I need 60 seconds, I would need to pay $15 per month?

Finally, I haven’t looked at the new API stuff, can you generate an API over NodeJS scripts in yout hosting environment?

Regards
Paul

Hi Paul,

Could you please give a break-down how with the new pricing your monthly bill would exceed $99/month for the same features the Backendless Plus used to offer?

Regards,
Mark

Hi Mark,

My game will create 1 object per play, which is say roughly every minute or so. I also have 1 object per user, plus 1 additional object created about every 20 seconds by a schedule script. So lets say I have 1000 users playing (I’d hope I had more :-), and that each user plays for 1 hours per day, that’s 1000 hours of play. So I’m creating 60000 objects for game play (1000 hrs x 60 mins) + 4320 objects for scheduled script (24 hrs x 60 mins x 3 - every 20 seconds) + I’ve got 1000 user objects already - a total of approx. 65000 object for day 1. In 4 days I exceed the 200000 limit. Over a month that’s approx. 650000 to 700000 objects. At $20 per month per 1000000 object, my month outgoing is going to increase by $20 every month, for just 1000 users with no growth! If that scales, it becomes much worse.

Obviously, I could archive the objects, but I have reporting built into my app down to 1 hours at any time. I could also aggregate reporting, which would produce less objects, but require more backend processing and clean up.

I would have thought this model would be affect many / most games.

I think the double whammy of storage and objects makes it a bit tricky. We did have this discussion a few times way back when I was trying to determine if you charged on number of objects in the database. Regarding other limits, I believe that are all very fair, given that you could run it for free with the right model.

On another note, how do you do testing now? Previously, I would crank up to the $99 plan test then go back to free. How would you do it now, say if I need to test 10000 users. Would that immediately hit me with $10?

With the “object per play” approach you described, do you need to keep those objects indefinitely? I do not know about your game, but for most games it would be rather wasteful approach. I believe creating a cleanup routine in your app which would remove unnecessary objects can significantly help in keeping the costs down.

As for testing, you can add a Function Pack and uninstall it at any point of time later.

Regards,
Mark

Looking into Paul’s comments, how many objects per table are allowed for free account?
where can I get the complete limitations chart for the free account?

Hi Tushar,

You can get all the information here:
http://backendless.com/pricing/backendless-cloud-functional-limits/

Regards,
Mark

Thanks a lot Mark.

Regards,
Tushar