I have data which has the following structure :

Table Test_Base :

• name

Table Test_Linked1 :

• base (1:N relationship to Test_Base)

Table Test_Linked2 :

• base (1:N relationship to Test_Base)

Here is a view of the Test_Base table in console :

I need to retrieve data from table Test_Base, which isn’t an issue in itself, and the output is :

[
	{
		"name": "cat1",
		"___class": "Test_Base",
	},
	{
		"name": "cat2",
	}
]

Except I need to provide insight on the number of items in the related tables. Just like the “2 objects referencing this object as a relation” in console :

In short, I would like it to become something like :

[
	{
		"name": "cat1",
		"linked1Count": 1,
		"linked2Count": 3
	},
	{
		"name": "cat2",
		"linked1Count": 2,
		"linked2Count": 1
	}
]

Despite the documentation on subqueries (Search with SubQuery - Backendless REST API Documentation), I can’t seem to get the right syntax for a single query.

Of course I could do so with two count queries for every item in the Test_Base table, but that seems highly inefficient.

Could you please provide guidance on the right way to do so ?

Thank you

Hello @Nicolas_REMY

Please read this documentation Inverted Relation Retrieval - Backendless REST API Documentation
Try the following request:

https://api.backendless.com/APP-ID/API-KEY/data/Test_Base?property=name&property=count(Test_Linked1[base].objectId)%20as%20linked1Count&property=count(Test_Linked2[base].objectId)%20as%20linked2Count&groupBy=%60objectId%60

Regards,
Inna

Great, that works just fine, thank you !
For some reason I didn’t find the right page in the documentation.

Hi again,

While the above suggestion works fine, I am having some trouble using this with the Users table.

I am trying to use the following syntax to retrieve the identity of the object’s owner :

Users[email].objectId=ownerId AS ownerEmail

I am getting the following result :

{
	"code": 1054,
	"message": "Column 'email' does not exist in table 'Users'"
}

There is an email column in the Users table, so I must have my syntax wrong somewhere. Can you help ?

Hi Nicolas,

I have two questions:

1. What is the name of the table you’re sending the query to?
  2. How does the Users table relate to the table from Question 1?

Regards,
Mark

Hi Mark,

1. In real life, I have several such tables. Hence the example given above. Let us say for example that I have objects in the table called Test_Base. These objects have a name, an objectId and an ownerId.

2. The relation I am looking to make use of is ownerId. In trying the above, I need to find, for each object in the Test_Base table, the email property in the Users table for the object’s owner.

I hope this makes sense. Just as a clarification on what I am looking to do, in SQL I would query the following :
SELECT Test_Base.name, Test_Base.objectId, Test_Base.ownerId, Users.email from Test_Base LEFT JOIN Users ON Users.objectId = Test_Base.ownerId

Hi @Nicolas_REMY ,

Could you please provide schemes of Test_Base, Users tables from your application and URL of request which you made when encountered this problem?

Regards, Andriy