S3 storage anyone?

Hi Backendless users,

Was wondering if anyone here had already set up storage external to Backendless such as S3.

If so, would you mind sharing any pitfalls to avoid, and perhaps recommendations on how to do so ? If by any chance you would be willing to share your approach in Codeless, that would be even better !

I am especially wondering about how to proceed when the user uploads a document, since the Codeless File Uploader Button only allows uploading to Backendless storage.

Looking forward to your feedback.

Nicolas

Hi @Nicolas_REMY,

I am not familiar with Amazon S3, but as an option, I can assume that this can be implemented as follows:

1. Create event handler “afterFileUpload”;
  2. In this handler, upload a file to S3 storage;
  3. Delete the recorded file from the Backendless storage.

What I don’t know for sure, but you can test it, is to try to do not “after …”, but “beforeFileApload”, and if a file is also accessible there, then upload and stop the handler by returning object { short: true } (Link) so that the file is not written in Backendless storage. In this way it will be possible to avoid step 3.

But I haven’t tried any of this, I encourage you to give it a try, and if you have questions along the way feel free to ask them here.

Regards,
Stanislaw

1 Like