Same Backendless application, multiple push certificates

Hi All,

I’m new to Backendless and I’m trying to understand if it fits our company needs.
Basically I would like to know if there is a way to setup a single Backendless application managing multiple push certificates. Scenario: the same backend (along with users, data, ecc) will be used by different iOS and Android apps (each application using a specific push configuration).

Is it something already possible?
Thanks in advance for your support.

Best,
Leo

Hi Leonardo,

This is what the UI looks like where you can upload various certificates for your apps. As you can see, you can have certificates for your iOS. Mac OS and Android apps for the same backend:
http://support.backendless.com/public/attachments/f822ddb90504c7f5361d21c162fd8570.png</img>

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Mark

Hi Mark,

Thanks for your quick reply!
My question was about multiple mobile applications, all on the same platform (I’m sorry, I was unclear).

For example two or more iOS applications on the same Backendless app. Each app will require its own specific certificate+password and we would like to write a custom business logic for selecting the right certificate to use each time we need to send a push notification.

Is it something possible? :slight_smile:
Thanks,
L

You can build multiple apps with different certificates + 1 “root” app.

The child apps will call parent app endpoints. - solved

Maybe you could add a bit more information on your needs so we could figure out another solution.
I’m currently not understanding the need of such configuration…

The parent/child “hierarchy” is purely logical. To paraphrase what Jens wrote (if I understood correctly), there would be one backend app with data and additional backend apps each configured to push notifications to specific types of devices/client apps.

Hi Jens,

Thank you! It seems your proposed configuration could solve the issue. However I’m not completely understanding the root-child app configuration. Could you please link some resource/information about how to create/configure child apps?

Basically our need would be to have a single Backendless application to manage users and services for several Hotels of the same company (this is why we need to have the same user-base). Each Hotel will publish its own iOS application using a specific push certificate. We would like to send push notification from the Backendless app to specific users of different apps using the same backend app.

L

@Mark
You got me right.

@Leonardo
Is your app 100% in need of using different certificates?
You basic configuration would just need one backend instance (1 app). You need centralized user/services management, which would only be available if you invoke this “master” backend from all of you hotel apps.

Is there a major need for using different certificates? Security? If you find any way to do this with just one certificate I guess all your needs are quity easy to accomplish.

Cheers,
Jens

Hi Jens,
Unfortunately the reason is that it is not possible to publish on the AppStore different iOs applications using the same Push production certificate, because each certificate if directly linked to a single application ID.
Any idea?
Thank you so much,
L

Why not proxying the push messages?

Just create the necessary amount of apps you need (with different push certificates).
Connect all your clients to your master application.

• Register your clients to the specific child backend (push)

Whenever you want to send a push to a client:
Send a call from master backend to specific child backend -> send push from child backend to client. => All done! Your configuration should work this way.

Cheers,
Jens

Will try that! Thanks again :slight_smile:

L

Happy coding,

let me know how It’s going…

Hi Jens, just one last question:

Using the proposed approach it will possible to target a specific user of one of the “child” applications? Let’s say that we want to push a notification (order confirmation) from the master backend to a specific user (master db) registered to the specific child backend (push).
Thanks again,
L

On registration in your child app you will need to push this registration information to the master app.

This could be a simple table that holds user information + iOS device ID + (this is important!) child app identifier.

If you now want to send the push you will look up the appropriate information in your “special user push table”. You will then know the child backend + user + deviceID so you would be able to make an api call to the child app to push data to a client of this specific child app.

Looks pretty straight forward to me.

BaasBox, just to cite one, solves the problem with 3 different push configurations per backend. Each configuration has two certificates (debug and release). Each client app can send notification to one or more configuration at once.

Sorry to say that but the more I see the APN approach in Backendless the more I see unnecessary complexity charged to developers. One for all is the inability to have development and release certificate.
The “proxying the push messages” solution is not a solution, is an “escamotage”. Too bad.

Cannot please everyone. Good thing there is a choice for you out there! ))