Scale and display format for the system updated and created cols?

Date data is a prickly subject and however it is handled is unlikely to satisfy everyone all the time. I get that. Every data object in backendless gets the created and updated cols defined as datetime type. This is good work.

I searched the docs but got too many wrong / could not find specific answers to these questions so am asking here.

The data browser shows data for a sample row with values as MM/DD/YYYY HH:MM:SS.

Q1. Is this date stored as milliseconds?

Q2. If yes, how can I see the millisecond value? In some use cases I may want to sort by, say, the updated date to find a chronological history of updates to some list of data. Milliseconds would improve the accuracy.

Q3. How can I format the date to YYYYMMDD HH:MMSS:mmm or similar?

Observation: The default USA date format displayed in the data browser causes all kinds of fun for us Europeans who are raised to read dates as DD/MM/YYYY. I looked for a setting to change the format but have not found anything yet.

Re self help / docs searches: I have only found explanation in the ‘Data Object’ page, which refers to them being a ‘timestamp’ data type and confirms when they are set but not their accuracy. Is there more documentation that I have not found? Happy to receive a suggestion to RTFM with a link.

Thanks.

J

Example of date shown for data just entered on 10th May 2022.

Hello @VanquishedWombat

Q1. Is this date stored as milliseconds?

Yes

Q2. If yes, how can I see the millisecond value?

For now we haven’t possibility to do that in Data Browser.

In some use cases I may want to sort by, say, the updated date to find a chronological history of updates to some list of data.

If you sort records in Data Browser - we take this into account, because sorting occurs on the server side

Q3. How can I format the date to YYYYMMDD HH:MMSS:mmm or similar?

You can create Generated Column and use DATE_FORMAT function - docs

If you switch to the REST CONSOLE tab in Backendless Console, select the table in question and click GET, you should see the raw value in milliseconds for the DATETIME columns.

Regards,
Mark