Server down right now - backendless 3

hi,
backendless is currently down (v3), please resolve ASAP, this is a production system.

Hi Alessandra,

We’re working on it. Most of our services are impacted including this support site.

Regards,
Mark

+1

@mark-piller please keep up updated with restoration progress

We’re slowly bringing it to life. Working with the DC staff on it. Thank you for your patience, guys.

2 Likes

The service has been restored. I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience.

Regards,
Mark

1 Like

thank you Mark. I have a question as I have been trying over the years to handle this situation better in our app, but it’s difficult as (fortunately) when servers are down it’s quite out of the blue and for a short period of time.

Basically I’d just like to identify the situation in the app, and let the user proceed (or inform a user that is just installing the app, that in this case they need to wait).

I’ve seen today that the issue comes from [backendless.userService isValidUserToken]; which basically never returns, so our app is stack with a blank screen there (while I thought it would return an error).

Now I tried to add a timer checking this, but I cannot really test it. Can you comment on this? Is it normal that the function gets stuck if the servers are not responsive?

Thank you

If an outage happens like it did today, there is no server-side socket to accept an incoming request. As a result, all requests (not just isValidUserToken) will be eventually failing with a timeout. The duration of that timeout depends on the actual client-side environment.

Regards,
Mark

1 Like

Thanks Mark. Was the outage to do with loss of service at the data centre?

We are still getting 400 (bad request) errors when calling business logic functions. Is that due to the same issue?

The error message is “Service invocation failed by timeout”

1 Like

same here

Hi @Jeroen_Dierckx and @Alessandra_Saviotti

Can you please provide your App Id’s? And what version of Backendless do you use?

Best Regards,
Maksym

1 Like

app ID: 9088AF67-1648-1726-FF09-A51862BF1A00

Backendless v3

Version 3
Application ID C6730F91-F429-E4C9-FF61-ED62B2B2E100

We’ve fixed the issue @Alessandra_Saviotti, @Jeroen_Dierckx

Can you please confirm whether it’s working for you?

Regards,
Maksym

1 Like

I confirm that it’s working now, thank you

Sorry for this inconvenience. Have a nice day!

Best Regards,
Maksym

Yep, it is working again. Thanks!

Hi team,

It appears there was another outage today (15/5/20 AEST) for ~2 hours. I happened to be monitoring the app so I noticed. Once the outage was over, I had to manually turn off and on all my business logic timers (using the toggle switch in backendless console).

If I had not been monitoring the app and was unaware of the outage, I would not have realised that my business logic was no longer executing, and would be unaware that it would not restart when the server is restored. This could potentially lead to a larger outage for my app if business logic is not being executed.

Is there any way we can be notified after an outage such that we can check our timers/functions are all executing as required?

after today’s issues we are still getting 400 (bad request) errors when calling business logic functions

Please resolve this again, and confirm that you are aware of these issues, I’m sure you realize this is not acceptable (especially after we had to go through that nightmare migration so that “things would work better”)

app ID: 9088AF67-1648-1726-FF09-A51862BF1A00

Backendless v3

1 Like

@Alessandra_Saviotti the issue is fixed