SHA 1 Fingerprint needed

I’ve got an IoT device that uses an HTTPS request to log data into a Backendless Table.
This worked a while back using the SHA 1 fingerprint.
I see SHA 1 has been removed from the certificate on my backendless URL and my IoT device no longer works.
The device can only send the SHA 1 and not the 256.
How can SHA 1 be reinstated on my URL asap?
Thanks.

Hello, @Tony_B

I think you know that SHA-1 disabled/remove from CA and switched to more secure implementations of encryption (SHA-2, etc). Our SSL certificates signed in this way rely on higher-ranking certificate authorities.

One of the options may be to use a HTTP/HTTPS proxy for which you will make a self-signed certificate with SHA-1 encryption.

I understand that many network devices support certain encryption algorithms and it is easy to update them.

Also, one of the options is to find a Certificate Authority issuing center that signs with SHA-1, previously Comodo did this for corporate clients who had many routers and other Cisco devices with SHA-1 support.

Take note that certificates with SHA-1 are not supported or do not pass security in most browsers.

My Marian
Thanks for your response! I’ll see what I can do.
My URL uses the xxxxx.backendless.app domain, so how would I use my own certificate?
The HTTPS call is made by the IoT device and not a normal browser so the browser shouldn’t be an issue.

Hello @Tony_B!

As my colleague mentioned earlier, you can set up a proxy or CDN, add your domain there, and issue a certificate for it.
Here’s where you can find more detailed information for a solution that suits your needs:
https://backendless.com/docs/rest/file_cache_and_cdn_integration.html

Regards,
Alexander

Thanks Alexander!

1 Like