What's the best way to send IoT sensor data to Backendless?

Hi.

We develop remote monitoring and control systems for RVs, caravans and boats. We are starting the process of building a smartphone app for out customers for them to view simple sensor data (ie. battery level, tank levels, temperatures, On/Off signals, Lat/Long position, etc). An example is below:

• Name: Boat1
  • Epoch: 123563256
  • Longitude: -27.420137
  • Latitude: 153.16748086
  • Battery1Voltage: 12.4
  • Battery1Current: 5.4
  • Battery1Level: 56
  • Input1: 1256
  • Input2: 41338
  • Input3: 3351

We are embedded hardware developers and don’t have any experience with servers or smartphone apps.

Our hardware devices are connected to the internet via LTE Cat-M telecoms modules that only have the ability to communicate via, MQTT, raw TCP/IP packets, or GET/POST request to HTTP(S) server. So we would need to craft packets data from a very low level.

How would we go about sending this data into Backendless?

Do you have some sort of MQTT broker service, or are you able to send/receive to an MQTT broker?

Kind regards,

Andrew

Hi Andrew,

I would suggest you start with regular HTTP requests. So far, whatever you write doesn’t look like something they can’t handle. We have clients with very high-load applications and the Backendless does an excellent job.

Regards,
Stanislaw

1 Like

Hi Stanislaw.

Thanks for the reply. Can you please point me in the direction on where to find documentation on how to do HTTP and HTTPS requests to Backendless?

Andrew

Hi Andrew,

Here’s a documentation link for the API to save a record/object in the database:
Saving Single Object - Backendless REST API Documentation

Please let us know if you need any help or require any assistance.

Regards,
Mark

Nice, i am testing an IOT app with backendless and so far good. A concern for me arises because in the documentation says:
“Backendless server sets the maximum allowed value for the page size to 100 objects. The minimum value is 1. Default page size is 10”

That worries me because if i need do and API call to get 1000 records to plot a chart with timestamps in another platform i will get 100 points max? Is there a way to get all data at once or is there a method to get chunks and latter on put all toguether.

I am myself an embbeded developer too so i use only no-code platforms for this.

Hey there,

Im a hardware developer too. Are you still using backendless? or did you went into using an IoT platform to handle your data onthe cloud? So far im tinkering with backendless because i want to build my own Low-code-IoT platform (small steps at a time). I know i could use arduino cloud or ubidots to do this for me but i want my own server without going into the hassle of setup a node-red with databases and GUI in a linux machine.

Would be nice to hear about your proejct too

Hello @Jaime_Isaac_Bojorquez_Guerrero,

You can use Data retrieval with Paging to retrieve more than 100 records.
Please take a look at this documentation.

Regards,
Olha