Why there is a limit in string length !?

Most of data stored consist more than 250 characters, which is the maximum string length.
There’s no way around.
How can this happen? Is it an error? I can’t set autosize to the string length.
This is very disappointing.

There must be an explanation for this.

Hello @KamiMart_KamiMart,

this is a bug in developer’s console, we are sorry for such annoying behavior. It’s already fixed and will be released asap on this week.

Regards,
Stanislaw

Hi, @KamiMart_KamiMart

We’ve just updated cloud servers with a fix for the issue you described above. Could you kindly let us know whether fix works for you well?

Regards,
Marina

@stanislaw.grin hey guys, I don’t understand. How was that feature fixed if there is still no way to set autosize for the string length? I can see the maximum symbol count is now 500, but it is still not auto.

If you need more length, you could use the “Text” type.

@Justinas_Grazulis, when autosizing happens, the entire database must be locked to adjust the definition of the column. In some applications where the database has grown to be rather big, this results in locking of the persistent storage for a considerable amount of time and as a result, it impacts the performance of many other applications (because of the nature of the shared hosting environment). It is recommended to set the size to the maximum possible length you envision for a any given column.

Regards,
Mark

Hi,
I switched my data type to Text but it still says the max length is 250 characters.
Screenshot_1

How can I increase the max length?
Thanks,
Carlton

This must be a visualization bug. Columns of type TEXT support up to 2000 characters

Hi @mark-piller,

Ah, thanks for the replies! I see the logic in this and I will adapt. What confused me was that all other fields are still set to “size: auto” in my table, so I expected to keep the consistency.

And I can confirm, the TEXT field shows 250 as max length as in @Carlton_Branch comment. Hard to know it’s 2000 if the number is incorrect :wink:

Anyway, thanks for the response, it all makes sense.

Cheers,
Justinas

@Carlton_Branch and @Justinas_Grazulis, I created an internal ticket to correct the problem: BKNDLSS-23492

Hello @Carlton_Branch and @Justinas_Grazulis

We’ve just updated cloud servers with a fix for the issue you described above. Could you kindly let us know whether fix works for you well?

Regards,
Inna

Hi @Inna_Shkolnaya,

Yeah, TEXT field doesn’t show any length anymore, I guess it makes sense now :slight_smile:

Cheers,
Justinas