Push Notification on Android 13

Hello. I have problems getting push notifications on android version 13. After sending a push notification through the Backendless console, the push does not come to the device. If you look at the logs, you can see the error. If you look into the BackendlessFCMService code, you can see that this flag is used. On devices with Android versions below 13, push notifications work correctly. Can you suggest what could be the problem? For pushes I use BackendlessFCMService

1 Like

Hi, @Yevhenii_Markosh

Welcome to the community!

What version of Android SDK do you use?

Regards,
Marina

I am using version 6.3.6.
I add to the project like this
implementation group: ‘com.backendless’, name: ‘backendless’, version: ‘6.3.6’
implementation ‘com.google.firebase:firebase-core:21.1.1’
implementation ‘com.google.firebase:firebase-messaging:23.1.1’

@Yevhenii_Markosh, this is strange… because the issue has been fixed already and exactly in this version of the SDK Push notifications causing a crash when targeting Android API 31+
Let’s try the following. Please write the backendless dependency this way:
implementation 'com.backendless:backendless:6.3.6'.
Make sure you update (make) ptoject after changing the dependency. And run your project one more time.

Regards,
Marina

I changed adding the SDK to the project. Synchronized the data by rebuild project, but the error is repeated

@Yevhenii_Markosh, please provide us with a project with minimum reproducible code of the issue. We will try to reproduce it on our side.

Regards,
Marina

@Marina.Kan Hello Marina, Is there an email or person on the Backendless slack that we can send the minimum reproducible code to?

Hello @Will_York

Please share it here through text or some cloud storage. If it minimal reproducible example, it shouldn’t contain any security-sensitive data.

Regards, Dima.

1 Like

Maybe the problem is in the flags for PendingIntent? Google recommends using these flags in pairs. Shown in the screenshot

You don’t have the PendingIntent.UPDATE_CURRENT flag in your library. Maybe it’s worth adding?

1 Like

Hi, @Yevhenii_Markosh

Please send the full reproducible code in the text. We will check it on our side.

Regards,
Marina

Creating a PendingIntent in the BackendlessFCMService file should look like this
PendingIntent contentIntent = PendingIntent.getActivity(
context, notificationId * 3, notificationIntent, PendingIntent.UPDATE_CURRENT or PendingIntent.FLAG_IMMUTABLE );

I sent the code to Dima via slack. We do not want to send it on public thread.

@Will_York, we got it. I have created an internal ticket, BKNDLSS-31319, to investigate your case. We will let you know in this thread when we get any results.

Regards,
Marina

1 Like

Hi, @Will_York!

I was able to reproduce the issue in your project. The ticket has been reassigned to the developer team. When the issue is researched/fixed we will let you know.

Regards,
Marina

1 Like

Any update on this issue?

Hello, @Will_York.

The ticket is still open. As soon as there are any changes, we will inform you about it.

Best Regards, Nikita.

Appreciate the response Nikita, this is the final step holding us back from launching our Android app.

We are seeing the same problem - push notifications from the console are not received by devices running Android API 31+. We also get the same error messages.

Is there any news on this issue?

Thank you very much,
Rick

Hi @rick-cataldo ,

Sorry for a long delay with the fix for this issue.
We are currently working on the major update of Android SDK which will target all known compatibility issues between different versions of Android. We are expecting to release it closer to the end of April.
Sorry for inconvenience.

Regards, Andriy

Thank you very much for your response, @Andriy_Konoz .

Push notifications are a central component of our app, so we will anxiously await the release of the update.

Thanks again,
Rick