Push Notifications with huge delay

Are you looking for help?

We are using your Push Notifications service for sending urgent and critical notifications to our users. Unfortunately the push notifications are sent with a huge delays (up to 90 minutes) in last days. Examples:

APP: 83141C24-51C9-3DE8-FFA6-44BF91569700

• 25.10.2021 11:55:15
  • 25.10.2021 13:08:14

APP: ECE825FF-A79E-06FC-FF6D-39DF5F4C9600

• 26.10.2021 07:25:30

APP: B8A35A02-15FC-0E32-FF4F-1F19309FAE00

• 25.10.2021 round about 14 o’clock

Backendless Version (3.x / 5.x, Online / Managed / Pro )

Online / Cloud

Application ID

83141C24-51C9-3DE8-FFA6-44BF91569700
B8A35A02-15FC-0E32-FF4F-1F19309FAE00

Expected Behavior

Push Notifications are sent immediately after the Messaging-API was triggered

Actual Behavior

Push Notifications are sent with a huge delay of 30-90 minutes.

Hello @Dimitri_Voelk

I have discussed this problem with the team and measures have been taken to resolve the issue. From now on, push notifications should not come with such a long delay. As soon as you will have the opportunity to check this issue, please let us know the result.

Regards,
Inna

Hello, I am disturbing here as end user of the push notifications that were mentioned in the ticket. So I apologize for my impatience. Unfortunately, I have to announce that the problem has not been solved yet. After the feedback, we issued two more push messages. On iOS devices, these arrived again with a considerable delay of an hour or even not at all. I kindly ask you to re examine what the problem is. Thank you for your commitment.

Hello @Timo_Fratz

Welcome to our community.
Another change was made 20 minutes ago to solve the problem. Could you please check again? I apologize for the inconvenience.

Regards,
Inna

Thanks for the fast respond. We put out a new message at 4:10 p.m. This arrived immediately on all android devices available to us and also on a few ios devices. Unfortunately, most ios devices have not yet received any notification. They will probably be delayed again there.
Regards, Timo.

@Timo_Fratz @Dimitri_Voelk

We created an internal BKNDLSS-26654 ticket to solve this problem. We will let you know the result as soon as possible.

Regards,
Inna

That’s great. Thanks so much. Incidentally, the 4:10 p.m. notification has not yet been played on the ios devices. I’ll let you know when it gets there.
Regards, Timo.

1 Like

Hello and good morning. Unfortunately there was no improvement until last night. This morning at 6:53 am we sent another message. This arrived faster on the iOs devices. Most with a 2 to 3 minute delay, but some with up to 23 minutes. However, no messages were received on android devices. We had no problems with android until yesterday.
Regards, Timo.

Hello @Timo_Fratz

we have released a fix for iOS, the delay in a couple of minutes is possible.

We will recheck push notifications for android, could you also just test push notifications only for android devices?

1 Like

Hi @sergey.kuk,
thanks for your answer. It’s great that there seems to be a solution for ios.
Unfortunately, when sending the push, I cannot choose that it should only be played on android devices. It’s all or none. But if it helps, we can send out a push message for testing. Let me know when is a good time to do so.

@Timo_Fratz we have changed the configuration for the server, could you please try again?

@sergey.kuk thank you very much,
we did the test at 1:21 p.m. and the message arrived on the iOs devices within about 15 minutes. But again no android device received a message. We have now noticed that the android devices available to us, suddenly no longer save the consent to receive push notifications. The check mark can be set. But if the app is closed and reopened, it is gone again.
Unfortunately, I don’t know whether this bug has to be fixed by @Dimitri_Voelk, or whether you from Backendless can help us.

@Timo_Fratz
we had to roll back the fix for iOS, because of its impact android devices in some specific cases. We are working on the ne fix

1 Like

@sergey.kuk OK. Thanks for the information. I hope you can find a solution.

Hello @Timo_Fratz, is the bug with subscribing for push notifications fixed for you now? We could not reproduce the issue today.

Thanks, Dimitri

Hi @Dimitri_Voelk ,
unfortunately not. We have five android devices here. The setting cannot be saved for all of them and always switches off automatically. Push notifications do not arrive. Maybe we’ll make a phone call? 0521-555111.
Regards, timo.

Hello @sergey.kuk,

we debugged the issue with Push Notification registrations on newer Android devices and found out, that there is a problem with Android 10+ devices. For registration we use the method Backendless.Messaging.registerDevice() and receive the following error:

BackendlessFault{ code: ‘null’, message: ‘Could not deserialize server response: Not allowed to delete channel de.ams.android.bielefeld_PlayerService with a foreground service’, detail: ‘null’, extendedData: ‘{}’ }

The problem is here:
Messaging.registerDevice() →
FCMRegistration.registerDevice() →
FCMRegistration.registerOnBackendless() →
FCMRegistration.processRegistrationPayload() →
PushTemplateHelper.deleteNotificationChannel() ← here’s the problem

In this method the code tries to delete all notification channels and one of them is our channel for the foreground service, which is active now. It is the radio stream, which is playing and is critical for the app. We use the android SKD ‘com.backendless:backendless:6.3.2’.

Please advise how to fix the issue, thanks

Best regards, Dimitri

1 Like

Hello @Dimitri_Voelk, @Timo_Fratz,

I’ve created an internal ticket BKNDLSS-26694 to investigate this issue with Android devices. Our Android developer will check it as soon as possible.

Regards,
Olha

@olhadanylova @Dimitri_Voelk
Hello all,
unfortunately we have no improvement again this morning. On some iOs devices, our push messages continue to arrive with a delay of over an hour. On Android devices, they do not work at all. Based on our observation, it doesn’t matter which Android version is available. The problem of apparently not being able to save the checkmark in the consent is also found on devices with Android versions 10, 9 or 4.4.2 in addition to version 10. Furthermore, push notifications are not received even on Android devices with a saved checkmark.
In the end, the iOs problem has existed for 11 days now, and the Android problem since Monday. Our business is to spread news. This works better with push notifications and I need to propose to my company how we can achieve the best possible result. In order to plan further steps, I would appreciate an estimate of when the issues can be resolved. Sorry for my urging, but ultimately the outage is hurting us.
Best regards, Timo.

1 Like

Hello @Timo_Fratz

I understand you.
This does not sound like a trivial problem, but we will do what we can to find a resolution.
Unfortunately, I cannot estimate, because I cannot predict how long the solution will actually take.

Regards,
Vladimir