Timed 'Show Alert Message'?

It would be very convenient (for troubleshooting) to have a block like ‘Show Alert Message’ that didn’t require an ‘OK’ click, simply displayed for a settable amount of time. Maybe a ‘wait for’ block with an (optional) text input that displays?

Is there a work-around for such functionality, or should I put it in as a suggestion?

Hi @Jim_Austin,

currently, there is no such component, but we’re in the process of creating a new custom component that will be able to behave like this. We’ll make an announcement once it becomes available.
For now, I can suggest you use the Print text block in order to debug your app, the logs will appear in the browser’s console.

Regards,
Stanislaw

Hi,
I have a custom component in work which can be used to create popups (with backdrop and buttons), but toasts as well. I think Jim is asking or a toast component (something which shows a message and disappears after a while).

@Jim_Austin : If you are interested, I’m happy to share this with you. The only drawback is, that there is no documentation yet. I can provide you a sample config for your case of course.

@stanislaw.grin : If Jim is interested: what would be the best way to share this with Jim without publishing it to the marketplace? Can I just send the relevant folder in /files/ui-builder/containers/default/components/custom ?

Regards,

1 Like

Hi @Klaas_Klever,

nice to know that you have a similar component!

I think Jim is asking or a toast component (something which shows a message and disappears after a while).

Yes, that’s exactly what we’re develop right now. Hope this will become available soon.

@stanislaw.grin : If Jim is interested: what would be the best way to share this with Jim without publishing it to the marketplace? Can I just send the relevant folder in /files/ui-builder/containers/default/components/custom ?

Yes, this is the working way.

Regards

Klass, I am interested in your custom component, in whatever way it’s convenient to share.

Stanislaw, Klass is correct, I’m suggesting something simpler/quicker than setting up ‘print’.
The ‘Show Alert message’ component is pretty close, just would be nice to eliminate the ‘OK’ click. Besides the timed display, I’d suggest considering a show-only-in-development feature: a ‘show in publication’ checkbox (that defaults to unchecked) or logic input (that defaults to false), allowing turn on/off from an App Data property. This is useful in apps that ‘bounce’ back and forth between development and production.

FWIW, Hanna Syniavska’s (HowTo/Cookbook) post (How to create a dropdown in UI Builder) shows a neat dropdown that uses Theme > Extension > CSS code. Not convenient for the quick message I’m suggesting, but very elegant and effective in a production app.