Inbuilt sharp library not working

Hi team:

My app uses the inbuilt ‘sharp’ library extensively.

From last few days, the library isn’t working. I am getting below error from production code that has been working for over a year.

Error: Cannot find module ‘sharp’

Best,
Acky

Hi @Achilles_Pereira

We are looking into your issue, and will help as soon as possible. Could you provide your App ID, please. It would also be very helpful if you could provide more details about the sharp library, where and how you use it

Regards,
Zahar

Thank you for the quick response @Zahar_Mychka.

My app id is:
0B6BE4AB-12E6-4BF7-FF0C-CDFE694EF000

I use this to overlay text on a base image and create a composite image.
test_sharp_js.txt (2.6 KB)

Attached is a test code indicative of how I use it.
The resultant composite Image URL is used to display in the app UI. (Front end is not backendless)

Hello,

This library is not built and is not supported by Backendless. Please contact the library author to get any assistance with it.

Mark

Hi @mark-piller,

Does that mean Backendless is no longer providing sharp as an inbuilt library?

I don’t think we ever provided that library in the first place.

@mark-piller

This library was suggested to me by Backendless team itself close to a couple of years back.
I have been using it in production since.

Here is a ref:

This does not mean we actually wrote the library or provide formal support for it.

Hello @mark-piller,

Apologies for use of the wrong term ‘inbuilt’. I wouldn’t have pushed this conversation back if it were not critical to me.

But, it has been pre-built and available in backendless environment all this while in production.

Here is a support conversation related to a font issue that I experienced using the sharp library was resolved quickly by the team.

Please advise me on next steps.

I am not quite sure what you mean by this. We do not preinstall the sharp library.

The other issue you’re referencing was related to fonts.

However, if the library is not working for you now, I fail to understand why Backendless would be the one (in your mind) to fix it.

@mark-piller,

It is getting a bit difficult for me to continue this conversation as I am not sure if my limited technical knowledge is playing a part in me not understanding your point of view.

An image library that was recommended by Backendless team as it was already installed. (pls chk screenshots even confirming the version installed).

And I have been happily using it for almost 2 years. Today, I realized that my code is giving an error: Error: Cannot find module ‘sharp’ as it is probably unable to find the library.

How is reaching out to Backendless support not the logical next step for me?
I would have been ok if the response was ‘we no longer provide pre-installed library ‘sharp’’.
(I would be a bit upset for not receiving any heads-up about this - or would think I probably missed). But, I can definitely accept that response.

The response that the library was never there (even though I have used it in production for months) is a bit difficult for me to understand and accept. Like I mentioned earlier, maybe my limited technical knowledge is playing a part here.

Just that we are clear. All said and done, I still love backendless.

To help you understand my point of view, suppose I recommend you to switch to Mac OSX or for that matter some other operating system. Say you do that and run into a problem. Do you believe it would be my obligation to provide support for that system? I don’t think so.

If you experience a problem with a library, you should seek support from whoever stands behind that library or whoever is responsible for your implementation that uses the library.

We stand behind the libraries we write, test, deploy and support. Much like the rest of the platform. However, issues that arise from third party libraries are not included into our support charter.

Hope this helps.